Tracking Driver Responsibility

By: News 10
By: News 10

An insurance company is giving its customers a discount--- if they agree to be tracked.

Progressive Insurance is giving tiny tracking devices to drivers--- and if it shows they're responsible--- they could get a discount of up to 30% on their insurance rates.

The devices will measure the driver's behavior only--- like when they drive, how often and if sudden stops are made. GPS is not included in the device, so no one can tell where the driver is going or where their home is located.

The discounts would be applied to drivers who travel during times of the day when accidents are less likely to occur and those who drive less overall.

The "Snapshot" Program is available in 27 states, including Michigan.

• by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    This is a little to much big brother is watching you. I have On Star because I am older and travel a lot. But this is just a bit to much.
  • by chris on Dec 14, 2010 at 02:39 PM
    The first thing Jesse Ventura does when he buys a new Cadillac, is tear out the OnStar. lol.... I know this is saving some people some money, but you give this kind of innocent agenda an inch and before you know it, they have taken a mile. How controlled are YOU, willing to be?
  • by Ricardo Location: Lansing on Dec 14, 2010 at 03:18 AM
    This type of program has been available with General Motors On Star equipped vehicles for quite a while. So not every vehicle would need a tracking device. I have been using it for a few years and like it. It saves a little money, and in todays economy, every little bit helps! Thank you. Ricardo
  • by S Location: Lansing area, MI on Dec 13, 2010 at 08:12 PM
    I've had this since August and love it. I've already saved almost $100. I've never had a ticket or an accident and think it's a great way to save money. Granted, it's not for everyone. But it certainly isn't something that makes me a "sheep" or someone who blindly does what is asked of me. I was offered it and looked into it a great deal before deciding to use it. I personally have had no trouble with it draining my battery. Besides, as far as being concerned about being tracked we are all on camera an average of 10-30 times per day. So clearly there are other means to track people if that is someone's goal.
  • by david Location: charlotte on Dec 13, 2010 at 07:10 PM
    no thank you keep your discount
  • by Tabitha Location: Albion, MI on Dec 13, 2010 at 03:31 PM
    We live in Michigan and have this and it is great our car insurance already went down $10 a month. The only down side is that it drains your battery.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 13, 2010 at 02:41 PM
    They are using statistics to give us a better rate. If you are a good driver, this is a good program. If you like to break the rules or like high stress driving, it is not for you. It is ideal for someone who drives less than 5 miles to and from work and does not live in detroit.
  • by dan on Dec 13, 2010 at 01:53 PM
    The people who will buy into this are your sheep. They would walk off a cliff if told they were gonna get a discount. They are the same ones complaining about all the jobs disappearing while shopping at walmart.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    If you cann't get info on customers one way, then you find another. I am sure there are a number of people who will be happy to buy into this.
  • by non anonymous on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    LOL, Hell NO! Thank you very much. As a free Man in the "land of the free". I WILL travel when and where i want without anyone knowing WHERE i'm at or WHAT i'm doing. I will never give up this freedom, no matter what kind of bone you try to throw at me. Thats one reason i don't own a cell phone.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111795379 - wilx.com/a?a=111795379