Testimony To Repeal Price Tag Law Today

By: News 10
By: News 10

Michigan lawmakers will the formal debate today over repealing the state's item pricing law.
A house committee will hear testimony on a bill that would repeal the law.
Supporters of repealing it say price tagging is a hidden tax on consumers, and results in higher prices at stores.
Opponents say jobs would be lost at stores if the law does get repealed.

• by Anonymous on Feb 3, 2011 at 07:08 AM
    These discount groceries like aldi's has the system licked. The make the food manufacture put the price on it and the price does not change. Unions hate that because it is being done by a machine. The consumers save more than the 3 cents an item.
  • by Me on Feb 2, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    Why would anyone complain about paying extra for the price tags. Why are they even considering this? I like having price tags, it's not often that the price tags are wrong either so that shouldn't even be considered. If I don't see a price tag on an item I usually skip buying it (general merchandise) because it is a pain to track somebody down or even find a price scanner. It is worth the extra money.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2011 at 04:06 PM
    woopee, a 3 cents saving on a every container of food. Let me do the math. 40 items a week, 2080 items a year and that is a saving a $62.40 a year. It is worth paying $62.40 a year not to be gimped once or twice.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    There was a reason for the law being made: to help consumers know where their hard-earned dollars are going. Keep the law!
  • by Jamie D. Location: Lansing on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    I believe that pricing is a matter of a consumers right to know. Furthermore, many people choose, or have to budget their grocery expenditures, and simply cannot go over what they have budgeted. It will be inconvienient for consumers to wait in lines for self price check scanners. Or to be in line, spending extra time waiting, because someone ahead of you is having to sift through their purchases to put items back because they overbudgeted, or discovered an item was too pricey.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    They could repeal the law and put price checkers up in stores. You have got to question why michigan is only one of two states that that have the law. Dumb laws like this is why the state is still lingering at the bottom of the economy rankings. Stores need to be bring back something like customer service and get rid of anything that hampers the employee from being good to the customer.
  • by mysterious Location: michigan on Feb 1, 2011 at 07:42 AM
    I do inventory and we depend on the prices being there. I would say it ads two hours to our job if things arent properly priced. Or it messes our accuracy on the total dollars up. I hate being in Indiana stores where it isnt law. I have to do numerous price checks, and its not comfortable to ask for a price check on vagisil and/or depends
  • by forevermigirl Location: jackson on Feb 1, 2011 at 07:33 AM
    I am not sure about jobs being lost, but I do know that if the law is repealed, the consumers will be paying more than the actual price for many items. Don't tell me about the stickers on the shelves, too many times, the item I pick up does NOT match the sticker on the shelf. This is just another way to play "gotcha" to the consumers this law is meant to protect.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115005974 - wilx.com/a?a=115005974