Taped Up Pit Bull Rescued

By: Meaghan M. Norman
By: Meaghan M. Norman

The not even two year old female pit bull wasn't supposed to survive.

"I think they tried to kill her. You could tell someone abused her," said Lansing resident Ernest Moss.

Moss found the dog in a wooded area near his home, on Cedar and Community Streets as he was out walking his own two Boxers on Wednesday afternoon.

"My big dog tried to pull me down the hill and I didn't know what was going on so I looked down the hill and I saw a female pit bull all tied up and shaking."

Moss stumbled across "Tatiana" who was bound, bruised, covered in blankets and nearly frozen to the ground.

"Her paws were taped, her back legs were taped. It took me half an hour to take the tape off and around her mouth was taped, it was pretty sad," said Moss. "All that mattered to me was to save her."

Hairs were ripped out by the tightly-wound electrical tape which had her hog-tied in the frigid cold and left to die.

"It's not something we've never seen before but it's something we'd never like to see again," said Julia Palmer, CEO of the Capital Area Humane Society.

Head swollen from severe trauma, believed to have been beaten repeatedly with a blunt object and littered with fresh wounds.

"But I saved her. That made me feel good. I cried, but it made me feel good," said Moss.

The Capital Area Humane Society is now looking after her recovery.

"She's a really tough dog," said Palmer.

Named by the Humane Society after Tatiana "Ali" -- and while it's not for the daughter of Muhammed Ali, the society says she's still a fighter with a very rough road still ahead of her.

The CAHS is offering a $500 reward for any information leading to an arrest in the case.

• by diana Location: new york on Feb 2, 2011 at 04:07 PM
    Thank you Mr. Moss for being such a wonderful person that took the time to rescue this beautiful girl. I pray she gets a home that showers her with love and attention. As for the person(s) that did this to her or any other defenseless animal, what goes around comes around. You deserve every misery there is and I hope you get it.
  • by T Location: Bay City on Jan 22, 2011 at 02:28 PM
    Just a dog?? Are you serious??? I don't think we are doing enough for the abused animals in our society. Homeless "Golden Voice" Ted Williams was rescued and look where he is now, REHAB!! At least a dog won't smoke and drink all his gratitude away!! And, thank you, Mr. Moss, for your kindness to this poor baby!! You are a hero!!!
  • by Misty Location: Kalamazoo on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    Animal abuse is a truly horrible thing. The kind of animal or breed of dog is not relevant. These facts don't make it better or worse compared to abuse of humans either as someone previously stated. It's a terrible issue on it's own. But for those of you who are prejudiced against "pit bulls", here is a thought: That dog suffered so much abuse and I saw no signs of aggression, nor did Mr. Moss as he removed the tape for an hour that tore at her fur and skin. No retaliation depsite the fact that she was in immense pain inflicted by another human being! Just something to consider...
  • by non anonymous on Jan 22, 2011 at 08:50 AM
    Those of us that have compassion for humans and animals are unable to understand people like this.
  • by Carly Location: Lansing on Jan 22, 2011 at 06:35 AM
    This is just terrible! I chocked up when I heard this on the radio! I would love to adopt her! I have had a pitbull before and they are hands down the best dog! I hope they find who did this to her...such a sick sad world...
  • by ERIC Location: LANSING, MI on Jan 22, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    @ Kathy not bragging about anything just letting the world know that the owner was not responsible for the crime it was her sick boyfriend who just recently start leaving with the girl and mya. The police was notified of this the day after this happen and are looking for the suspect as we speak the guy went in hiding. I own my own pitbull who is well taking care of and is my son to me.I was ask the same day at my brothers home if i wanted the dog. if i would have known that by or anyone turning her down that this would have happen i would have took her to the shelter or found her a home myself. so again kathy never would i brag about something like that, i love my dog like a father would love a child.
  • by Kathy Location: midland on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    @Eric: You claim to know the owner of so-called "Mya"...would this be the same owner that hog tied her and left her to die? I wouldn't go bragging about knowing such scum. If they are responsible, they deserve to be punished. If you do, in fact, know the person who did this, deliver this message to them: "Karma is a *****, I hope you are beaten until you are begging and crying for it to stop, then I hope you are hogged tied and thrown into the bottom of an icy lake where you can see what being close to death feels like...if you're lucky enough, someone will come find you like they found this innocent girl...but even then, it's still not a fair trade, you see, YOU DESERVE THAT, she didn't." I hope that Tatyana finds the strength to trust humans again. I hope a wonderful family falls in love with this beautiful girl, and has a place in their home for her. I hope they find the people or person responsible and punish them with to the full extent of the law.
  • by Peg Location: South Waverly on Jan 21, 2011 at 07:59 AM
    Did anyone beside us see the story on the homeless Mom with 2 children? I would hope the community would try to help her as they did the abused dog.
  • by wendyhumble?wendy swan Location: lansing,mi on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:42 PM
    I first heard this story on the 10 o'clock news and my heart went into my stomach.I can not believe the cruelty in this world.It completely sickens me.I'm a major animal lover and have 2 cats and a dog(Sassy) of my own.Whoever did this should be bound and tied and left in the freezing cold. I believe the punishment should fit the crime.Hope they catch the very sick person(s) who did this. sincerely' Wendy Humble & Wendy Swan
  • by ERIC Location: LANSING on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:01 PM
    @ Jacklyn Jackson the dog is only 1 and some change old and no she has never had any pups. I know the owner and she has not been mated. the dog name is mya
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114250629 - wilx.com/a?a=114250629