Sunday Morning Liquor Sales Not Law Yet

By: Lauren Zakalik Email
By: Lauren Zakalik Email

It's a law that's been on the books since prohibition: no selling liquor before noon on Sundays. Rich McCarius of Tom's Party Store in Okemos knows it well.

"It's hard," he says. "We have to make them wait until noon to make the purchase. They're looking at the clock and they've got two minutes to go, and they're still waiting, thinking 'Are you kidding me?'"

But that's all supposed to be changing soon. New legislation that would allow establishments to start selling liquor at 7 a.m. Sundays, and on Christmas, is long overdue, says McCarius.

"It's the 21st century now," he says. "It's time to move on and be more modern."

But while the bill may be on Governor Granholm's desk, she's not ready to sign it.

"There's still some technical issues," she says.

The Governor says she does support opening up sales hours on Sundays; the $160 permits would mean additional revenue for the state. But the bill itself has ballooned, with so many components, that she's evaluating it carefully.

"If I do veto it, it'd only be to come back and correct some of the problems," says the Governor.

Lance Binoniemi of the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association urges the Governor to sign the bill.

"Our members have always seen a customer base that would like to purchase alcohol before noon on Sunday," he says.

As for McCarius, he's not sure the $160 annual permit to sell on Sunday mornings is worth the extra hours of work.

"I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning towards not buying a license," McCarius says, but he supports others having the right to do so if they want.

The Governor has two weeks to sign the bill from the day it hits her desk. MADD says it's supportive of anything that stays within the legal limits of drinking, no matter what time of day it is.

• by mike Location: lansing on Oct 6, 2010 at 01:59 PM
    I am retired now but when i was working it was 3rd shift,when i got out of work in the morning,it was actually my evening,So if i forgot to buy sat.nite i was s.o.l.till noon on sun,you can buy at 7 during the week,so whats 1 more day?
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    I don't think it's a whole "I wanna start drinking bright and early on my Sunday morning before church" thing but more a "I just got out of church and would like to grab my Sunday football beer on my way home" thing.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    I cann't see any reason why anyone needs booze at 7 on any morning especially Sunday. I also think they need AA a lot more than the booze. So folks start watching for drunk drivers on your way to church!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 06:15 AM
    Why do people need to buy booze on sunday morning? If someone is needing a drink that badly they have other issues.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 05:21 AM
    anybody who needs booze at 7 a.m. in the morning, needs HELP.. A.A. comes to mind.
  • by William Location: Lansing on Oct 5, 2010 at 04:24 PM
    Oh great now you would have to purchase a license to sell liquor on sundays before noon. Why dont the state just make it legal and collect the taxes from the additional slaes of liquor? There always trying to find a way to collect money from small business owners. Hey politicans if you havent heard small business dont have any more money to give!!
  • by anonomous Location: Lansing on Oct 5, 2010 at 03:48 PM
    Michigan can offer a liquor license to sell early Sunday, which will promote drunken people at mass, but, Michigan CAN offer a SMOKERS permit to bars and any other places that CHOOSE to do so!! I bet Michigan would make way more money from a smoking permit then a drinking permit! But, I think Granholm would prefer the liquor on Sunday morning then going into a smokey bar in the evening!!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2010 at 03:43 PM
    This is a disaster waiting to happen, they do not need to be able to buy liquir brfore noon on sundays. If they do this it will just put more drunks out on the road sooner and be more trouble all the way around. If they do this it will be a big mistake.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104375399 - wilx.com/a?a=104375399