Student Residents Fear for Safety After Fatal Drive-By Shooting

By: Sherene Tagharobi Email
By: Sherene Tagharobi Email

Shattered glass, bullet holes in the ceilings, and broken car windows --that's what Crossing's Place residents woke up to Saturday morning.

"My friend Ashley knocked on my door and said my car had been shot," said Amelia Hoffert, a resident there.

Residents believe it all started Friday night at a party in Building 3. Now they're dealing with the aftermath of the shooting police say began at the Bath Township apartments where numerous rounds were fired. Bath Township Police say at least two groups of suspects left the apartments, and while southbound on Abbot Road, fired more shots killing 20-year-old Detroit Resident Adrian House just before 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

"For East Lansing PD this is actually our first homicide of the year in 2010, in the middle of December, so I would characterize it as very uncommon in student housing and homicdies uncommon in the city," said Sgt. Scott Wriggelsworth.

We tried to talk with the Crossing's Place property manager about the incident, but he refused to comment, saying, "I didn't do anything." Residents say that inaction is part of the problem.

"I'm in danger living here, and management knows it," said Ashley Lhota. "We've gone to him with a problem months ago and he's done nothing, and if it has to take gunfire to get him to do something then..."

"Someone should have been better guarding because yeah, there's been vandalism, there've been safety issues, nothing's been being done about it," said Hoffert.

Lhota and Hoffert want out of their leases immediately. But they say management tells them that's not possible. They plan to follow up with the property's corporate office Monday.

• by fran Location: E. Lansing on Dec 14, 2010 at 02:20 PM
    I lived in Crossing Place last year my senior year and had more problems with their managment then with any other appartment complex I lived in thus far. I, like many others are sad that it had to come to this. I am so sick of these appartment complexes run by someone in another state taking advantage of students and not really caring about their community. I am just scared for the people that consider Crossing Place or even the Village to be their home. This act is such a personal invasion that shakes your trust and nerves.
  • by Vanessa Location: Williamston on Dec 13, 2010 at 03:06 PM
    These apartment places prey on the lower class and thsoe who cant afford to move. Then when someone does move, it shows up on the credit report multiple times. Williamston has the same ghetto feel in their apartment complexes. One does not accept section 8 so they dont have to improve things.
  • by Winter Location: East Lansing on Dec 13, 2010 at 09:46 AM
    I deal with the same issues (not to this degree of course)but in Haslett. MGMT is worthless and won't spare a penny. It all starts by allowing the right kind of people to live somewhere. If that takes stereotyping and just plain using your common sense, then so be it. 9 times out of 10 I could look at someone for 5 seconds and determine what kind of resident they're going to be and what kind of company they keep.
  • by Brooke on Dec 12, 2010 at 07:34 AM
    I lived there for one year in college and hates it, couldn't wait to get out. The management is very lazy and combative towards their residents. It doesn't surprise me one bit that no ones safety concerns were taken seriously. Sad that a young man had to die for them to maybe do something. Thoughts with his family.
  • by CPlace Location: Crossing Place on Dec 12, 2010 at 07:31 AM
    It's RIDICULOUS that management doesn't want to let anyone of their lease, I am as well calling first thing Monday. Crossing place has gone down the drain since August, and this isn't the first time I have felt unsafe - but shooting rounds where I park? No. I'm leaving. This is supposed to be a safe place for students to live, obviously the lacked on their part, so they need to let everyone out of their lease that feels unsafe here now. Maybe close the place down, redo it, better select people to live here as well.
  • by Jason Location: Jackson on Dec 12, 2010 at 06:32 AM
    Yeah I would be fearing for my life too if I lived in the hood.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111728319 - wilx.com/a?a=111728319