State to Stagger Food Stamp Distribution

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Michigan plans to change when many food stamp users get their benefits as part of a way to help improve the availability of fresh food and keep grocers better stocked.

The state announced Thursday that instead of handing out food assistance in the early part of each month, food stamp users will get funds on different days throughout the month.

The change will be put into place gradually starting in January.

The current distribution method has led to heavier shopping days at the start of each month -- especially at inner-city grocers that serve many food stamp recipients.

Some merchants supported the change, saying it would allow them to keep stores better staffed and stocked at all times.

• by christina Location: Jackson on Nov 8, 2010 at 09:51 AM
    LMAO I am far from being in the food stamp line!! I own my business so not going to China.You know what is funny all that responded negatively to what is the truth are probably those who have the junk food in there carts!
  • by dan on Nov 4, 2010 at 01:37 PM
    Christina, you want to watch these people work ? Give them an airline ticket to China, cause that's where their jobs went. There isn't jobs for everyone of working age anymore, don't you get it?
  • by anonymous on Nov 4, 2010 at 01:27 PM
    Oh Christina, you will awake to the realities of this world someday and your karma will surely come.
  • by Anonymous2 on Nov 4, 2010 at 01:10 PM
    Christina- I think you need to keep your comments to yourself especially if you don't know what it is like to have had and job then lost it! Heck you could even be one of those that is selling them or buying all the junk with them and just trying to get peoples attention off from you.
  • by Kelly Location: Lansing on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    But apparently 'Anonymous' has a computer and internet access. Personally, I think there should be a distribution center in each county where they line up each week to receive just the basics in food and other grocery products. If they want more, let them work for it and earn it like the rest of us!
  • by Christina Location: Jackson on Nov 4, 2010 at 09:14 AM
    Why bother doing that when most of there carts are full of junk food and monster drinks!! that doesn't even count the ones who are saleing them for cash!! fresh food is the last thing on there minds. how about encouraging them to get a JOB.I would rather see that then "lets change the dates so the can have FRESH produce..what a joke!!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 4, 2010 at 09:00 AM
    Heck they already messed around with it once. I used to get mine on the 3rd and I went to the 10th so i have an extra week of waiting to get food when I never had that problem before. I actually had food stamps left for the end of the month when i got them on the 3rd but now I do not have any left because I have to buy for 5 weeks worth of food at once. It will not be good for me to have it distributed thru the month because that means I have to pay someone to take me to the store so it would not benifit me at all because I have to cut short my rent or another bill short so I can pay for a ride to the store when I barely get enough from unemployment as it is.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106692293 - wilx.com/a?a=106692293