Stabenow Calls for $500 Fee on Canadian Trash

By: AP
By: AP

DETROIT -- U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow said Wednesday that she's sponsoring a bill that would require trash haulers to pay $500 for each truckload of garbage they bring into Michigan from Canada.
The Lansing Democrat's goal is to make it too expensive to send trash across the border. Stabenow and Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., worked to stop trash shipments from Ontario governments, but that represents only 40 percent of garbage entering the state from Canada.
The Stop Canadian Trash Act, announced during a news conference near the Brent Run landfill in Genesee County, is aimed at private, non-government sources of Ontario trash.
Brent Run is one of three Michigan landfills that account for 90 percent of the Canadian waste dumped in the state, according to the Department of Environmental Quality.
"Canadian trash poses serious health, safety and security threats to Michigan families and communities," Stabenow said in a statement. "Senator Levin and I were able to stop Ontario's city waste from being dumped in our backyard, but now it's time to stop the rest of the trash coming across the border."
Stabenow's bill would change the financial incentives that make it cheaper for Canadian companies to dump their waste in Michigan.
Currently, international trash trucks generally pay $5 to haul waste into the United States, and only 1 percent are randomly screened by U.S Customs and Border Protection.
The Stop Canadian Trash Act would require companies that ship waste from Canada to the U.S. to pay a $500 fee at the border to provide Homeland Security personnel the resources they need to inspect every trash truck.
The fee would be assessed on trucks carrying foreign trash handled or collected by any means from residential, commercial and industrial sources.
The "bill will have a real impact on the Brent Run landfill, where Canada is the leading contributor of trash," said Genesee County Commissioner Archie Bailey.
Michigan residents complain that trucks carrying Canadian garbage cause environmental and health problems, harm roads and create security risks because of the difficulty of screening trash for contraband.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 02:15 AM
    Mich has so many landfills filling up.I think Cananda should keep their own trash.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    She must be needing the votes. She is getting out earlier this year with her rhetoric
  • by ron Location: mason on Apr 20, 2011 at 05:26 PM
    Debbie has been beating this same dead horse for years now and "NOTHING" has ever come on it. I think she only does it to get her name in the paper. She is the biggest waste of tax dollars that i can think of. "Nothing but a big fat do nothing cow." ron
    • reply
      by Steven on May 18, 2011 at 02:45 PM in reply to ron
      Actually, she cut off 40% of the total trash coming in recently. A historic agreement with the Ontario government in which they no longer ship any waste here. She is now going after the private companies(the other 60%)
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120312029 - wilx.com/a?a=120312029
Gray Television, Inc.