HOLLAND TOWNSHIP -- Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.
Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.
The resident's name wasn't immediately released.
Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.
Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.
The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.