Snyder Wants to Link Biz Tax Cuts to Repeal of Senior Tax Credits

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder says state lawmakers will have to vote to end senior tax breaks on pension income at the same time they roll back business taxes.
The Republican governor told reporters Thursday that he will put both measures into the same bill. It's part of his plan to get the entire $45.9 billion budget proposal passed, not just the parts that are politically popular.
The multimillionaire says the plan requires "shared sacrifice," and is offering to cut his annual salary to $1.
Critics quickly raised fears that the poor and elderly were being targeted to help pay for business tax cuts.
Snyder's proposal includes spending cuts for schools, universities and local governments. It also would get rid of many tax breaks, including one for the working poor.

• by GonzoG Location: Lansing on Feb 18, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    He's forcing legislators between a rock and a hard-place. They'd better not take the bait. The business tax reform would likely benefit SOME if businesses turn their extra profits into hiring. BUT, seniors vote more often than the unemployed. They can't do the good part of encouraging business growth without committing political suicide. For the legislators, such a vote is lose-lose for them.
  • by Bill Location: Delta Twp. on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    I want my vote back ....
  • by Tom on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    They aren't going to tax social security money, so those just living off that will not be affected. Those most affected will be those with generous pensions who are doing quite well relative to the working age people in the state. I'm a senior, I think it's only fair we started paying our fair share of income taxes if our income warrants it. The poor wether senior or working age pay very little in tax. The money was tax defferred when it went into a defined pension or 401K, there is no reason not to pay tax on it upon withdrawl. The federal government taxes this money why shouldn't the state.
  • by Dave Location: Lansing on Feb 18, 2011 at 08:43 AM
    I applaud the governor for making the difficult decisions to cut, cut, cut. When times are good, it's good for everyone. When times are bad, like now, things go bad. When businesses save money, they hire people. That's the whole reason for the business tax saving. If you don't have a job, you should be happy about the business tax cuts. Many, many people have left the state for better jobs. It will take many years of these cuts to get the state as a whole bacj in shape.
  • by Dayna Location: Jackson on Feb 18, 2011 at 06:57 AM
    I live on a fixed income from Social Security Retirement. That isn't much. I can barely pay my bills, but our wonderful Republicans are going to be taxing what little money I have in order to keep these "big businesses" within the state. How is that helpful? He believes it's helpful because he can get more taxes from the employees, more middle to low income people, by way of THEIR income taxes. I get it; I just don't understand how he can sleep at night by attacking us as well. I earned my income, but the "big businesses" sure don't.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:54 AM
    The man is just to rich to understand.Leave social security peoples incomes alone.Most are making below poverty level.They use what little some get back to pay for NEEDED things.A small fix to their home, copays on medicare,extra food,NEEDED things.If they pass this I won't vote for them doing it to us already POOR folk.I didn't vote for R Snyder either.Just because he is a business man don't mean he can run a state.Fix this state or country on the BACKS of the POOR,so the RICH can stay RICH.Are people happy now??
  • by Ricardo Location: Lansing on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:26 AM
    The governor can propose anything he wants. The lawmakers are the people that send bills to his desk for approval or veto. So it is a simple matter of sending them one item at a time. It didn't take long for his true colors to surface. ie: reduce taxes for business and stick it to the people by increasing their tax burden. Thank you. Ricardo
  • by Greg Location: Holt on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:17 AM
    Dear Rick, Can you please tell me how the wealthy are going to be "sharing" in the pain? And what the relative percentage of hurt is going to be for the poor vs. the wealthy? Your $1 salary doesn't impress me much either. You are already wealthy and don't need the money.
  • by JRHowosso Location: Owosso on Feb 18, 2011 at 03:54 AM
    Enough of hearing about taxing us old peeps, lets hear about the cuts!!!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 08:44 PM
    How are the poor and the elderly being targeted when they special status is being waived? Does everyone else get the same entitlements?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116445689 - wilx.com/a?a=116445689