Single Mother's Car Stolen, Gutted

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

police car graphic

WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- A single mother of three young children had her car stolen while she was working at a late-night bartending job in Detroit.
Melissa Berman's vehicle later was found, but it had been stripped of its engine and many of her possessions, including money, a passport and a treasured necklace created while her son, Ryder, was undergoing chemotherapy treatments.
Berman, a 34-year-old college student from Oakland County's Waterford Township, describes herself as a hard-working mom trying to do the best she can for her kids.
She said she doesn't have money to buy a new car and is hoping someone might come forward to donate one.
Berman used the car to get to work and to classes at Baker College, where she is studying marketing.
"I can't quit my job," she told The Oakland Press of Pontiac. "I have no car to take my child to treatment or get to class."
Ryder, who is now 5, was diagnosed with myelomonocytic leukemia when he was 9 months old and continues to require treatments.
The necklace grew from the many treatments Ryder endured.
"For every poke he had, he got a bead," said Berman, fighting tears.
"The (thieves) wiped me out," she said. "I hope someone can help me."

• by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2011 at 06:25 AM
    @DUMASME, I hope she has some coverage or else that would be against the law to be driving or operating a vehicle without Insurance. When most everyone else has it. Let's hope she had some sort of coverage, probably not Full , but let's hope she drove with insurance.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2011 at 01:40 PM
    Does anyone at WILX know how to cover a story that was not a press release? This happens in lansing and jackson all the time, but it gets no press.
  • by mike Location: lansing on Jan 12, 2011 at 01:20 PM
    Why do you have to be hung to be a horse thief?
  • by BOBBY Location: LANSING on Jan 12, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    How does one get in touch with authorities that can help? I may have a car that is dependable that I would give her, but only if she is really deserving and it can be verified that she is in dire need and that this is not a scam of sorts.
  • by Rigges Location: Hillsdale on Jan 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    This is exactly why I believe that Horse thieves should be hung. I feel for your loss this is a tragedy and it was horse theft I truly hope that some dealer ship may come forward and arrange to replace your car buy using a donation route and get you taken care of. Well this is another good reason why I should win the mega millions as after 3 hours from reading this you would have gotten a new car and aid for your children too. I wish this person good fortune.
  • by DumAsMe Location: Lansing on Jan 12, 2011 at 07:26 AM
    She needs to file a claim with her insurance company. If she has no insurance, that is the risk she took by not buying coverage.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113348934 - wilx.com/a?a=113348934