GRAND RAPIDS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- A middle school near Grand Rapids has banned sugary Smarties candy, saying it's being crushed and inhaled and can be a gateway to "inappropriate substances."
Northern Hills Middle School is part of the Forest Hills district. Principal Nancy Susterka says there are credible reports that kids are crushing the Smarties and inhaling the powder. She says it can cause infections, chronic coughing and choking.
In an email to parents Friday, the principal says "huge numbers" of Smarties wrappers have been found at the school. Susterka has also banned Pixy Stix.
She tells parents she wants to keep their kids healthy and safe.