Robo Calls Sweep Lansing

By: Brian Johnson Email
By: Brian Johnson Email

Lansing phones have been flooded with an unnamed robo call after an unusual confrontation at Monday's City Council meeting.

Many in the Lansing area have received as many as three robo calls in a 24 hour period. A woman's voice narrates the calls. The calls come from an undisclosed number and no individual or organization has come out to lay claim for them.

The calls come after council women Washington said Mayor Bernero called her "Eric Hewitt in Drag."

"This is hearsay and innuendo and I suggest that you get your facts," said Mayor Bernero to Washington at the meeting Monday night. "I never, never referred to you that way."

Today Washington spoke out about the recent calls and her being called names.

"It was brought to me by somebody who had, actually a couple people, who would rather not be named, saying that he had made a derogatory comment about me and I just confronted it and said I wanted it stopped on Monday night," said Jody Washington, the first ward council member.

It has become a war of words of 'he said' and 'she said.'

"Council women Washington made this an issue by attacking me Monday night," said Mayor Bernero Wednesday afternoon. "It was irresponsible and false."

There aren't a lot of details about who informed Washington or how they allegedly heard the mayor's comment. When I questioned her about specifics of how her informant(s) found out about the Mayor's alleged comments she didn't offer many details.

Johnson -- "And they (the informants) heard it in a conversation or something?"
Washington -- "I don't know how it happened ok."

"It certainly looks synchronized," said Bernero. "It orchestrated, controlled and planned."

"I just really want the public to know that I have nothing to do with this," said Washington. "I apologize for any annoyance, and If I do find out who is doing it, I will take appropriate action."

Bernero says he deserves an apology.

"If I hear something bad, that there's bad blood between us I call you up. I don't go give a speech on TV. Have an orchestrated thing and then have a YouTube of it up the next day."

All Lansing voters want is their phone to stop ringing.

• by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2012 at 05:08 PM
    They all have their little kindoms to protect. Gone are the days that we have people who run for office because they beleive they can make a difference and do not care about the glamour or fame.
  • by Anonemouse on Jul 13, 2012 at 05:29 PM
    Virg is a good guy that wants the best for Lansing.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Send them to their rooms.
  • by Jon Location: Haslett on Jul 12, 2012 at 08:11 AM
    Pathetic...absolutely pathetic. It's as bad as the council member (Conyers) calling the former council president "Shrek" at a meeting a few years ago. As someone said before, don't they have the city's business to attend to? They need to grow up.

Side note to the writer/editor - council WOMAN refers to a single person. Council WOMEN refers to more than one (same as MAN vs MEN). I'll never understand how people get that wrong.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 12, 2012 at 07:50 AM
    It is hard to beleive that this was the best that the dems could have offer to run the state.
  • by Summer on Jul 12, 2012 at 06:10 AM
    Awww! I misread. I thought the headline said 'ROBO COP TO SWEEP LANSING!' He's about the only person that could help.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 12, 2012 at 05:34 AM
    "Bernero says he deserves an apology" This quote from Mayor goof off is a joke and he just needs to go away. He is such a waste of time and he needs to be replaced as he can not do anything right.
  • by marilyn on Jul 12, 2012 at 03:15 AM
    They sound like a couple of 4th graders. Don't these people have a city to run?
      by Brian on Jul 12, 2012 at 08:46 AM in reply to marilyn
      Marilyn-I think you hit the nail on the head. These attitudes and actions by city officials shouldn`t be tolerated. They should be working together for the benefit of the people, not at the expense of the people. Do these leaders want the residents to treat them the same way?
  • by JoeyLoey Location: Lansing on Jul 12, 2012 at 02:32 AM
    I just hung up on both of the call's I got, after a few words... But that doesnt end the call. It will still be going on if you pick up the phone again... So the way to disconnect a robo call is to unplug your phone for about 30 seconds. That will drop the line and the call will disconnect.
  • by Anonamis on Jul 11, 2012 at 07:47 PM
    Jodi Washington has done nothing for the First Ward.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 162139595 - wilx.com/a?a=162139595