UPDATE: Fatal Accident, Victim Identified

By: WILX
By: WILX

The intersection of Waverly Rd. and Delta River Dr. on the border of Ingham and Eaton County was closed for a few hours Thursday night due to a fatal accident

Lansing police identified the man killed in the accident as 52-year old Jose Martinez of Lansing.

Police tell us the motorcycle was headed south when it collided with a Chevy Equinox headed the opposite way.

The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene. He was not wearing a helmet.

The crash is still under investigation, but police do not believe alcohol was a factor.

• by Joe's Sister Location: Lansing on Aug 31, 2012 at 04:14 AM
    I just want to tell all of you my brother was wearing a helmet. He never rode his bike with out it. Thank you for all your prayers everyone, This is something due to someone being in a hurry to get somewhere. I pray that this woman that killed my brother realizes she did no one any favors by killing a man who has a family and is was good hearted, with 2 grandchilderen on the way. He was my big brother, and he did NOT deserve this.
  • by Teresa Location: Mason on Aug 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM
    Just because he wasn't wearing a helment did not mean anything. It the Humans driving the automobiles that should watch out for the motorcycles. I ride my everyday and I see girls putting on makeup while driving. Talking on the phone while driving. Come on watch for the motorcycles. Joey my heart go out to Missy and your daughter Olivia and family they loved you deeply. So do we.
  • by Jance Location: Lansing on Aug 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
    Please know I wasn't placing blame on the motorcycle driver or the fact he wasn't wearing a helmet it was just a very very sad sight!   My heart aches for his family and friends!
  • by Anonymous on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Prayers to his family. I dont buy the "helmet wouldnt have saved him" Last year my cousin was in a bad accident going about 70, his helmet was destroyed but it could have been his face, its the only thing that saved him. On the other hand my dad rides without a helmet, and thats his choice, i may not agree, but hes grown.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 24, 2012 at 09:53 AM
    Kathy, I can't believe you said that! What an inconsiderate, STUPID thing to think, let alone say! I sure hope it's your time to go, it's in a way that society agrees with so your family doesn't have to hear that kind of stupidity from anyone! Idiot.
  • by Ed Location: DeWitt on Aug 24, 2012 at 07:05 AM
    Helmet or no helmet, makes no difference. I have spent over 50 years in the insurance business and there is no such thing as a "good" outcome from a motorcycle accident. Some are "lucky" but not many. The truth is that motorcycles have a low profile that make them difficult to see either in the rear or side view mirrors and in oncoming situations with the low profile, they may not become visible until it is too late. Various elevations in the road just add to the difficulty. Motorcyclists take this risk each time they ride... Helmet or not!
  • by Lori Location: Lansing on Aug 24, 2012 at 06:39 AM
    Regarding that corner, the weeds grow tall on the northwest corner there, making it very difficult to see what's coming from the north on Waverly. It needs to be better maintained. The area is heavily wooded, I don't know who owns it. And I realize that this wasn't the cause of the accident, but it has been a factor in several near-misses that I have witnessed or been involved in.
  • by Courtney on Aug 24, 2012 at 06:39 AM
    Motorcycles can be hard to see becauses they are smaller. If the sun is in the right spot it is very difficult. We all need to be looking twice before we turn to ensure there is no one coming. People may hate the loudness of a bike however, that is one protection for a motorcyclist because even when they are harder to see, you can hear them coming. Please pay attention when driving and look twice, no one owns the road and we all need to be more careful about other people on the road.
  • by Al Location: East lansing on Aug 24, 2012 at 06:13 AM
    Everytime I see a motorcyclist riding without a helmet I cringe, I think they are crazy for trusting Every time I see a motorcyclist riding without a helmet I cringe! I think they are crazy for trusting the other drivers on the road to do the right thing. There a lot of idiot drivers out there, who are texting, stuffing their faces with food, yelling at kids through the rear view mirror, watching videos and doing everything other than driving and to put your life in their hands, just so you can feel the breeze go through your hair is nuts!
  • by Jodie Location: Holt on Aug 24, 2012 at 04:48 AM
    A helmet would not have saved him, helmets are only effective up to 30mph. The speed limit through there is 45. Joe was a very cautious driver. Had the other driver been paying attention and not turned in front of him this would never have happened.
      by SpartyGirl on Aug 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM in reply to Jodie
      Please post where you obtained your (extremely flawed) information. Seriously.
        by Jodie on Aug 24, 2012 at 06:36 PM in reply to SpartyGirl
        Ok so I was wrong they are only effective up to 13mph. The following is the DOT testing info. "The 13 mph value is the impact speed at which helmets are tested, according to the DOT standard. It is the physical result of the chosen six-foot drop height. The six-foot height stems from the 90th percentile (i.e., 90% likely) accident type identified by the Hurt Report of 1981, and verified numerous times since. In 90% or more of real-life motorcycle accidents, the rider suffers a blow to the head by falling off his bike from approximately a six-foot riding height, thus hitting the ground at approximately 13 mph. This impact speed holds true regardless of the cruising speed of the motorcycle."
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 167259005 - wilx.com/a?a=167259005