Poll: Opposition To Gun Changes

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Sixty-eight percent of Michigan residents surveyed in a recent poll oppose legislation that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry handguns in places like schools, day care centers, sports arenas and churches.
Poll results released Friday by Lansing-based EPIC-MRA show only 29 percent of the 600 people questioned Feb. 12 through Feb. 17 favored the legislation. Three percent say they are undecided.
The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.
Democrats oppose the proposal 85 percent to 12 percent, while Republicans oppose it 56 percent to 40 percent.
State law currently allows concealed weapon permit holders to carry a handgun most anywhere. Places of worship, educational institutions, entertainment facilities, hospitals, courtrooms and bars are among places where concealed weapons are prohibited.

• by Anonymous on Feb 28, 2011 at 01:47 PM
    The only gun free zone are those places that are willing to do a full body search to allow admittance like the jail or courthouse. Until we are willing to do this, setting up gun free zones is ridiculous. Those who do not want a criminal record will obey the restrictions and those who dont care if they get caught or are willing to kill others will ignore it.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 26, 2011 at 05:05 PM
    Where are the other polls that support it. This station is very biased against gun ownership.
  • by Teacher Location: Mid-Michigan on Feb 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    Your talking about restricting rights of good people. So what this means is that only bad people will have guns in schools, etc. I'm a teacher and feel defenseless in my classroom. A school is a crazy person's/shooter's paradise inviting disaster.
  • by Vikingstaff Location: Haslett on Feb 26, 2011 at 08:26 AM
    Thank goodness some common sense exists among most people polled. There is already a great deal of room for people to carry a handgun in the State of Michigan. I come from a gun family and own a few guns myself. I certainly am not anti-gun. However, I know I don't want ANYONE other than the police able to carry a weapon into a school, be it my childs school or anyone else's child's school!
  • by john Location: jonesville on Feb 26, 2011 at 08:06 AM
    My first comment is I am in favor of the new law. My first question is who is the "Lansing based epic-mra"? My second question is how was the question worded? When we get a news story it would be nice to get at least most of the pertinent information.
  • by DumAsMe Location: Lansing on Feb 26, 2011 at 08:02 AM
    I would like to know the verbiage of question of the poll and what demographic area where the 600 people polled? If your going to write an article, please provide all the facts.
  • by Kelly Location: Lansing on Feb 26, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    This proves that sixty eight percent of people who responded to the poll STILL don't have a clue that weapons-free zones are among the most unsafe places to be. The only people who abide by that policy are law-abiding citizens. The violent offenders will ignore that rule, and they will have free reign to do whatever they wish, unopposed by anyone. You aren't going to talk down a Columbine-type shooter, people. Stop the knee-jerk reactions and start thinking!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116975903 - wilx.com/a?a=116975903