Police Shoot Agressive Dogs

By: Sherene Tagharobi Email
By: Sherene Tagharobi Email

There was quite a mess to cleanup after Lansing Police officers shot and killed two pitbulls Wednesday morning just next door to Forest View Elementary.

"There was a blood trail where they dragged the dog across the playground," said groundsperson Perry Jennings.

Police say two pitbulls got into this yard and attacked a husky. Tonja Owens and Samantha Miller saw it all happen.

"It couldn't get away cause it was chained up, so we all tried to throw snowballs to distract the dogs so it would leave the other dog alone, it worked a few times but they just went right back," said Owens.

"The lighter brown one had it by its throat and the darker brown one had it by its tail," said Miller.

Afraid to walk her son to school, Owens called 9-1-1. Two Lansing police officers responded. And Lt. Noel Garcia says the pitbulls acted agressively.

"The other dog was coming toward the officer, and at the same time was trying to get through an opening in the fence that would have led to the school," said Garcia.

Now we did talk with two other witnesses. They didn't want to be on camera but were furious the officers shot the dogs. One said it was unwarranted that the dogs were contained on this side of the fence, and could have easily been controled another way.

Officers fired six shots. Owens and Miller say they did the right thing.

"They could jump the fence if they wanted to," said Owens.

"They saved anybody else from getting hurt or any kids, especially with it being right next to a school," said Miller.

Police say they made sure they wouldn't be shooting in the direction of the school, and say no students were outside at the time.

Animal control took the husky to a vet to try to save it, but the injuries were too severe and the dog had to be put down.

The owner of the pitbull was notified of the incident and ticketed for not having the dogs detained.

• by Lilly Location: McCallister on Feb 20, 2011 at 08:37 PM
    I saw that a blood cleanup or crime scene cleanup, whatever they call themselves, van had to come to the scene and help, i think this was the cleanup business http://www.actremediation.com
  • by Mary Anne Location: Jackson on Feb 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM
    I have said this before (probably edited by some liberal WILX editor) and I will say it again. Pitbulls are NOT the problem! Good pitbull owners are not the problem either. Bad pitbull owners are a major problem, but everyone must realize that the jaw of a pitbull is a jaw that kills! Their jaws lock that on their prey is what kills. Any and every dog will bite; be it pitbull, lab, shepard, terrier, or poodle. All dogs bite! But the jaw of the pitbull is designed to "Lock and Kill." It is not their fault but the fault of nature. Something has to be done to breed this ability out of them. They can be angels, but they can also be devils, just like any other dog. They just have the ability to kill.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 09:08 AM
    Dogs are like children, if you do not treat them well, they act out like this. The same people who raise these dogs will have problem teenagers later.
  • by shorty Location: Charlotte on Feb 17, 2011 at 05:15 AM
    to Start with I am a HUGE ANIMAL LOVER minus snakes. Second Leigh I am SOOOO SOOOO Sorry for your loss, I can not begin to imagine how you and your family are feeling and missing your baby Cocoa. I have 3 dogs 2 being huskeys also and there like my kids the follow me everywhere during the day and try to get in bed with us at night. I agree with what the officers did 110% but I have to disagree with Dave just a bit, not all pitbulls are bad my parents had one she was the biggest baby you would have ever seen. It depends on the owner and how there raised so please dont put judgement on all pits JUDGE the owner who should be held responsible for this tragic event. There is no excuse for your pet being in your own yard and safe and have it invaded SO UNCALLED FOR! TO the owner of the pits SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT KEEPING YOUR DOGS AT HOME AND I AM SOOOO GLAD IT WASNT A CHILD OR ANOTHER PERSON! Animals laws in MI need to stronger we need higher punishments!
  • by spuds Location: jackson on Feb 17, 2011 at 02:40 AM
    Yea , there are a lot of fools that own bad dogs in the city . But all pit bulls are not like that . I would NEVER own a german shepard but I do own a rescued pit mix . I have owned five of these in the past , and have never owned a pure pit. But I have owned two purebred bull terriers and they are nothing like a pit bull . They act like a two year olds wearing a dog suit . They are very comical and great friends .
  • by jc on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    Leigh, my heart goes out to your family and I think your post is right on. Dave, not all pit bulls are mean and uncontrolled. It's the owners not the dogs.
  • by Kelly Location: Lansing on Feb 16, 2011 at 09:34 PM
    The Pit Bulls could have been "controlled another way"? The anonymoous persons who didn't want to comment on camera are obviously extreme dimwits. The dogs had already killed a family pet, and were a distinct, immediate threat to kids - or any living thing - next to a school and playground. I'm very, very sorry for the owner of the Husky. Find the owners of the Pit Bulls and charge them criminally. My bet is you'll find a dogfighting ring. Dirtbags.
  • by Blake Davis on Feb 16, 2011 at 06:22 PM
    To the cowardly scumbags that wont go on T.V., Either put up or SHUT UP!
  • by Leigh Location: Lansing on Feb 16, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    To the cowardly people who were afraid to be on tv, The dogs should have been shot!Contained in a fenced yard, yea in MY yard where they had just tore my family pet apart!Those pitbulls should of never been loose, We're next to a school yard, we are lucky it wasn't a child that was hurt on their way to school. Anyone whos says a VICIOUS dog should not be put done is crazy and if I had been there I would of killed the dogs too. I am the one that had to explain to my children why their dog is dead when he was in his yard that should be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God we have some neighbors who cared enough to call for help and try to save Cocoa. Save the pitbulls?????????? You are seriously missing some brain cells!
  • by Dave Location: DeWitt on Feb 16, 2011 at 04:09 PM
    "They didn't want to be on camera but were furious the officers shot the dogs" Thank you, Lansing Officers, for ridding the world of 2 more pit bulls. There is something wrong with people who need to own these dangerous dogs. If it were up to me, the DNR would be paying $100 bounty for each head of a pit bull brought to them. Every week there is a story in the news of some person being killed or injured by these vicious animals.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116357334 - wilx.com/a?a=116357334