Police Mace Protesters at Capitol

By: News 10
By: News 10
Rowdy crowd tried to block police cars and doors with dumpsters.

The Michigan Capitol is shown at twilight Thursday, Sept. 24, 2009, in Lansing, Mich. Lawmakers continue work on budget bills that deal with a $2.8 billion shortfall before an Oct. 1 deadline. (AP Photo/Al Goldis)

Police have arrested five protesters who'd been sitting in at the Michigan Capitol in a protest against what they say are Gov. Rick Snyder's anti-union policies.
Others came out of the Capitol voluntarily Wednesday evening, but a small number remained inside.
Police used mace to disperse the crowd when some people tried to force their way inside the building.
The five were led to an Ingham County sheriff's van, their hands secured behind their behind their backs about 8:10 p.m.
The sit-in came after more than 3,000 people protested inside and outside the Statehouse earlier in the day.
The union members and their supporters oppose a measure Snyder signed Wednesday afternoon that gives emergency financial managers sweeping new powers to void union contracts.
They also oppose his plan to tax pensions, which now are exempt from state taxes.

• by Anonymous Location: Lansing on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Lets see... the people of Russia over threw the Czar of Russia and became the communist party... So which do you want a Czar... or Communist.... The Unions began because companies were not listening to and protecting their people. The workers needed a voice. It would be terrible if the Unions built themselves up to the point where they became the "Communist Party" that over threw the Czar... Instead let us have Unions who will work with the government for an equitable solution for everyone... even those who do not have the benefit of a union... Don't take from me just to help the people in your union. I count too.
  • by Vicki Location: Lansing on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    The unions should be the first to step up to the plate if a municipality is in such dire straits as to need an emergency financial assistance. They should be willing to say that they will be willing to take a cut just like everyone else in that situation. Be part of the solution, not just part of the problem.... And yes... I understand Unions... my father has been in a union since he was 18... he is now retired... and my husband belongs to 2 unions.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    Read the bills they want to pass and make your deicsions. Liberal and conservatives will put their own spin on what the out come will be.
  • by Patriot Location: United States on Mar 17, 2011 at 06:51 AM
    Saying NO to Unions.........Is saying YES to communism!!! I didn't vote for Czar Snyder!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2011 at 05:45 AM
    Now days everybody wants something! There is only one thing that's going to save Michigan. JOBS!!! How hard is that to understand?
  • by Sandy Location: Lansing on Mar 17, 2011 at 05:21 AM
    So how much money did the govenor spend in the deployment of the state police yesterday? Another expediture affecting the tax payers. Is he a bad dream or what?
  • by Anonymous Location: Jackson on Mar 17, 2011 at 04:57 AM
    I support what the protesters are doing. We don't want to lose anymore of our rights and it appears the Governor doesn't want to know how his constiuents feel. I think he is too used to being a CEO and doing what he wants; of course he would have a board of directors to report to and their main concern would be the profitability of the company. When dealing with people's lives and taking more away from them that they don't have to give before compromising their ability to live will cause anger. People need to have a voice; and that is what we are continually told when we go to the polls but not when someone then determines they can appoint people to go into communities and make changes and the people not being allowed to have a voice. I really don't want to see a loss of anymore of our rights. I don't want to continue to see the middle class disappear and a greater concentration of wealth with a select few.
  • by heavy1two Location: tri-county on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    We have to do something to get the budget fixed....my taxes and "fees" have gone up or appeared just before Granholm left office.....State lead abatement lic, required federal lead license(seperate), new DOT requirements for my little trailer because I haul tools, commercial registration of my only family vehicle because I haul my tools in it. Insurance gone through the roof. These picketors are not helping stop any of these construction requirements on small business'. How can I charge a customer enough to cover all of this overhead and do it legally, I can't, so I am going to have to close my doors and lay off 4 people because unlicensed people are underbidding me. I do not have the power to stop that from happening, because those of you who read this would take the lowest bid, and hope there are no prblems with the work. We are all Scr****!
  • by robert Location: lansing on Mar 16, 2011 at 08:17 PM
    Leave it to unions to create anarchy. SAY NO TO UNIONS
      by Eric on Mar 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM in reply to robert
      Robert you have it all wrong. It was a very small group of protesters that got out of control and created the mess at the end of the day, not the unions. There were no union personel arrested. The protests during the day although loud at times, were peaceful. Far from the garbage that you spew.
        by suzanne on Mar 19, 2011 at 12:58 AM in reply to Eric
        Even the group later on were still non violent and didn't deserve any of the arrest or action taken upon them.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118137934 - wilx.com/a?a=118137934