Paid Sick Leave Debate Continues

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Some Republican Michigan lawmakers are seeking to ban local governments from putting in place paid sick leave mandates.

Legislation in the Republican-controlled state House and Senate would prohibit counties, townships and cities from adopting a policy that requires employers to provide paid or unpaid leave not required under federal or state law.

Republican Rep. Earl Poleski of Jackson sponsors one bill. He says no Michigan cities are considering such policies but says it's necessary to put rules in place in advance.

City councils in New York and Portland, Ore., recently approved sick leave mandates.

Danielle Atkinson is director of Mothering Justice, and she says without paid sick leave "mothers have to make the decision whether they are going to ... make rent or get everyone sick at work."

• by Holly Location: howell on Apr 14, 2013 at 03:02 PM
    Wrong Name, I am part of a Union. A nurses union to be specific working at a major lansing hospital. So if I come to work sick people can die. If I have to take a day off with no pay my kids suffer hmmmmm I guess I go to work. Im sick of all you people trying to blast both ways "its the unions fault no its you fault for asking for benefits" jeese And no I did not vote liberal you know it all
  • by Name Location: Location on Apr 12, 2013 at 04:34 AM
    holly/LMP, I'm guessing you are part of the 51% of the uninformed who elect liberal politicians/thieves to mandate over the top benifits for the general public. I have worked many years in a union shop, no work, no pay! Real Americans ask for nothing more than they have earned!?!?!?
  • by REN Location: Lansing on Apr 10, 2013 at 08:21 AM
    Holly, please read..."would prohibit counties, townships and cities from adopting a policy that requires employers to provide paid or unpaid leave not required under federal or state law". Nobody is advocating you show up to work sick. I'm certain YOUR coworkers are happy to know you would endanger their health and ability to earn a living because your employer cannot afford to go above and beyond federal or state requirements.
  • by LMP on Apr 9, 2013 at 08:56 AM
    To be honest, I don't want sick restaurant workers handling and breathing on my food. Huge health issue IMO.
  • by holly Location: howell on Apr 5, 2013 at 01:25 PM
    ok Ren and Kelly I will just come to work with the Flu and give it to you
  • by REN Location: Lansing on Apr 4, 2013 at 08:39 AM
    Thank you REPUBLICAN lawmakers for your forward thinking. A majority of business owners do all they can, and sometimes more than they can afford. Additional mandates may force them to cut back on staff, which will not be helpful to anyone.
  • by Kelly Location: Jackson on Apr 2, 2013 at 06:01 PM
    Finally. Legislators with common sense. It's always easier to put measures in place in advance rather than trying to shove the jeannie back in the bottle. Can you imagine how many businesses would be driven out by such well-meaning but economically stupid mandates?
  • by Name Location: Location on Apr 2, 2013 at 01:41 PM
    No municipality unless you are the city of jackson would be dumb enough to force this. It puts each municiaplity at a disadvantage. I can see a college town doing it.
  • by Lelsie Baldwin Location: Holt on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    Where does the GOP find these imbeciles?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 201084211 - wilx.com/a?a=201084211