Officials: Michigan Boy Suffocated by Plastic Bag

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

HASTINGS, Mich. (AP) -- Officials say a 3-year-old West Michigan boy accidentally suffocated himself with a plastic bag.

According to Michigan State Police, Joel Newton went to bed Monday with his 5-year-old brother. The two were playing when Joel placed a plastic bag over his head.

MLive.com reports Joel couldn't remove the bag, and his brother alerted their father, who performed CPR and called 911.

The Hastings boy died on Tuesday at a hospital.

WOOD-TV says authorities consider his death to be an accident and no foul play is suspected.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 218231441 - wilx.com/a?a=218231441