Mandatory Flag Bill Headed to Governor

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

The Michigan House has passed legislation requiring every state public school classroom to have a U.S. flag and provide an opportunity for students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
The House approved two measures Wednesday. The flag legislation already passed the Senate and goes to Gov. Rick Snyder for signature.
The Senate will consider the pledge legislation.
Many students already recite the pledge but there's no required opportunity to do so. The bill specifies no student would be compelled to say it.
Some lawmakers express concern that cash-strapped schools can't afford the flags and say it thwarts local control.
The House Fiscal Agency says Michigan joins 43 states requiring a recitation of the pledge.

• by Joe Location: Fowlerville on Sep 13, 2012 at 02:01 PM
    In reply to Doug, the teaching begins at home. What should we be focusing on? That you're a hero? There are a lot of us who have given to this country, and still see this is a self serving move on the House's part. I bet the majority of them have never served, but are willing to shove their patriotism down our throats. "If you want to play, lace em up"
  • by Joe Location: Fowlerville on Sep 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM
    This legislation, like this House is such a joke. Isn't this the party that wants less government interference in our lives. Oh wait, this is what they want.
  • by Russ Location: Jackson on Sep 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Don't most classrooms have the American flag in them already? My middle and high school had one in every room, and I'm pretty sure my elementary school did, too. They probably weren't any bigger than 2 feet across, but does size matter? I think all kids should have the flag in their classroom, even if it's a small one.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 13, 2012 at 09:48 AM
    Once again we want to force the schools to do something that parents should be doing. I don't want someone else teaching my children what civic pride and patriotism is. These are values that should be instilled at home. I have no problem with the pledge, but like other people have said, how does this create jobs or help our state. Stop wasting our time Michigan legislature.
  • by Serge Location: Lansing on Sep 13, 2012 at 07:04 AM
    Michigan legislators are each paid a base salary of $71,650 per year, plus $12,000 a year for "expenses," and this is what they are accomplishing? They are paid to solve hard problems, not monkey around with feel-good legislation they can brag about at election time. If I were paying someone $83,000 a year and this is the best idea they came up with I'd fire them.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 13, 2012 at 04:59 AM
    Will this do anything to lower crimes rates or improve the economy or stop terrorism or create more jobs? Didn't think so.
  • by Jay Location: USA on Sep 13, 2012 at 02:01 AM
    OMG! Are you kidding me. This what our tax dollars are wasted on. My son will not being pledging allegiance to a piece of cloth. His allegiance is with God. Period.
      by Beaner on Sep 13, 2012 at 08:02 AM in reply to Jay
      Well isn't your family special... I'd suggest you move out of the U.S.A. and go find god elsewhere!
      by Anonymous on Sep 13, 2012 at 08:11 AM in reply to Jay
      Don’t like it here, Jay-bird? Don’t appreciate the country? Why don’t you move to Syria then.
      by USA on Sep 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM in reply to Jay
      Tell that to all of the soldiers that have died for that flag and this counrty. If you dont like it, go live somewhere eles!!!
  • by Ann Location: Lansing on Sep 12, 2012 at 08:20 PM
    I just bought two on eBay for $26.00 and that included shipping. It's a 4x6, but you might be able to find some 3x5s for less. And, they last a long time.
  • by Doug Location: East Lansing on Sep 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM
    Its about time; can we please have our country back and teach our youth what so many have given, including myself to this great nation?
      by AuntieN on Sep 13, 2012 at 06:08 AM in reply to Doug
      Have our country back from what exactly? Did communists invade while I was sleeping last night? This legislation is a waste of money, and more importantly, our legislature's time.
        by Beaner on Sep 13, 2012 at 08:03 AM in reply to AuntieN
        Keep drinking the cool-aid AuntieN... you can also move to another country if you don't like the freedoms the U.S.A. provides!
          by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2012 at 08:18 AM in reply to Beaner
          What does AuntieN's comments have to do with not enjoying the freedoms of the USA?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 169560796 - wilx.com/a?a=169560796