Western Michigan authorities say a man died in a house fire despite his son's repeated rescue attempts.
The Battle Creek Enquirer says firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the two-story building in Calhoun County's Leroy Township after they were called to the blaze about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Authorities tell WWMT-TV the victim was Von Smith, whose age wasn't immediately known. Township fire Chief James Thompson says Smith's son tried three times to enter the house and rescue his father but was driven off by the fire.
Smith's body was found on the first floor, where he was staying. They say the fire started nearby and say his oxygen tanks could have accelerated the fire.
The home is about 10 mile south-southwest of Battle Creek.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.