Local School Starts Free Breakfast Program

By: News 10
By: News 10

Students at Waverly's Windemere View Elementary School are now getting breakfast for free.

View started a new pilot program Thursday morning, where every student is given a free breakfast every day.

Kindergartners will eat each morning at 8:20 a.m. in the cafeteria and first- through fourth-graders will eat in their classrooms at 8:30 a.m.

• by Jason Location: Jackson on Nov 7, 2010 at 03:00 AM
    I agree with Anonymous from Okemos. My mom works in a middle school and quite often you encounter children that are on free/reduced lunches. They get the lunch and throw it out so they can get out on the play ground. They are in need of new clothes etc. and when mom and dad show up to the school what do you see? Fancy car, cell phone, jewerly, tattoos, the list is endless. There are people out there struggling every day and I have no problem helping them out. But I'd bet you anytime over half of those recieving help is abusing the system costing taxpayers extra money. I had to pass a drug test to get hired to do my job, so those less fortunate that recieve my tax dollars for assistance should have to do the same thing before they get mine and your dollar. Just imagine how much money we would save if we get all the dead beats off of the system. Hate me if you want, but that's how I feel about this situation.
  • by Ricardo Location: Lansing on Nov 4, 2010 at 01:14 PM
    Well, it doesn't matter if it is a state or federal grant! It is STILL taxpayer money no matter how you slice it. This program should be either immediately be dropped, or made available to every single school in the country. Thank you. Ricardo
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    To the ever increasing choir of ignorant jerks on here who keep spouting "don't have kids ya can't feed/afford" and the like, SHUT UP!!!!!!! As stated, sometimes people fall on hard times, AFTER THEY'VE HAD CHILDREN!!! I also would pretty much bet almost everything I have on the fact that none of you are abortion supporters as well, which makes you even further ignorant and idiotic. I truly hope those who want to lash out, utterly nastily, at people in need don't end up in need yourselves, because Karma is an extremely cruel mistress when you've been cruel to the world around you.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    This is paid for by a federal grant that is not being fudned by the current tax payers. These children will be paying for it in 20 years.
  • by Anonymous Location: Okemos on Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    You are right, it's not free and the system does tend to get abused. When I taught, I had several students on free/reduced breakfast and lunch, but then mom would roll in with the new fancy cell phone and a weave! Interesting how a $300 cell phone could be afforded but not a box of cereal...
  • by jean Location: lansing on Nov 4, 2010 at 07:19 AM
    There is no "FREE" Breakfast. SOMEONE is paying for it and not the parents of the children receiving it....as it should be.
  • by Jeff Location: Charlotte on Nov 4, 2010 at 07:14 AM
    No, this program is NOT free! It is paid for by your and my tax dollars. And yes, it is carbohydrate rich, sugary desert food. Granted, for some children it may be the only breakfast they get, however; supplying to every student only contributes to the growing obesity problems of our youth society. I think we can do better to come up with an acceptable solution to addressing the problem of proper and accessable youth nutrition.
  • by Laurie Location: Lansing on Nov 4, 2010 at 06:42 AM
    What about the breadwinners who have since lost their jobs? You don't base having children on what "might" happen in your future. I don't see a problem with the program. I believe an attitude of "the village raising the children" is what is needed these days. They are the future, treat them well. Good luck to Windere View Elementary. I will gladly pay taxes to benefit the futue of all children.
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Nov 4, 2010 at 06:27 AM
    Well, I guess anonymous! didn't need to show up in here; big, mean, ol' DAN (ooh, aren't you so important, your WHOLE name should be capitalized!!!) showed up to take his place and spew vile rhetoric about. Yay! You must've read something more into this that I managed to miss; where does it say this is a taxpayer expense that will cause taxes to be raised????? It could be privately funded, and then wouldn't you look like the big, nasty windbag, DAN. I know more people than should get handouts, but I really don't feel it means we have to eliminate helping anyone out when they are in need.
  • by Jennifer Location: Lansing on Nov 4, 2010 at 06:22 AM
    This program is being funded by a federal grant not by the school district.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106679033 - wilx.com/a?a=106679033