Shelter Offers Adoption Special on Pit Bulls

By: News 10
By: News 10

When you think about adopting a great family pet, we're betting a pit bull isn't the first breed to come to mind. But local shelters are trying to change that perception.

The Capital Area Humane Society has targeted the week of Valentine's Day to raise awareness on the Pit Bull breed and is offering adoption specials in hopes of putting these dogs into their forever homes.

From Monday, February 11 through Saturday, February 16, adoption fees for all Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes will be 50% off. That includes a complete health care package, which includes spay/neuter, de-worming, vaccinations and micro-chipping (puppies only).

For more information or to see all the animals available for adoption, click on the link below. Adoption hours are from 12pm - 7pm, Monday through Friday and Saturday from 12pm until 5pm. The Capital Area Humane Society is located at 7095 West Grand River in Lansing.

• by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Wonder what will happen if one of these Capital Area Humane Society pit bulls attacks/hurts/kills someone? will the Capital Area Humane Society get sued?
  • by Jaloney Location: Lansing on Feb 21, 2013 at 04:16 PM
    Wow just what we need, more specials on putting dangerous dogs into the hands of irresponsible owners. Four people have been killed this year already by pitbulls and hundreds seriously injured. Get a clue. http://occupymaulstreet.blogspot.com/2013/01/pit-bulls-should-they-be-called.html this is why pitbulls should be called FLIGHT DOGS. http://banning-beaumont.patch.com/articles/91-year-old-woman-mauled-to-death-by-pit-bulls-in-hemet
  • by Lucy on Feb 21, 2013 at 09:29 AM
    When people say that pit bulls have to be trained to attack, they are suggesting that all dogs are just labs and goldens by default, but that irresponsible people who also happen to be gifted animal trainers can make them into fighting dogs. They are suggesting the the the seeing eye, an organization that realized in the the early 20th century that in order to get good temperaments for candidates to be seeing eye dogs, they would have to breed the dogs themselves are just a bunch of idiots that have been wasting their time. So, drug dealers are brilliant dog trainers and the seeing eye's breeders are just a bunch of idiots. Or maybe the idiots are people who say you have to train a dog to be aggressive. The dogfighters don't believe that, Guide dog breeders don't believe that, behavioral geneticists don't believe it. We need better schools in this country.
  • by Lisbeth Location: Baltimore on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    This is a foolish campaign. Given the rate at which pit bull fans are breeding litters that mostly end up dumped at shelters, there's no way adoption can ever solve the problem. 'Humane' societies need to start addressing the problem at the source instead of trying to mop up the mess afterwards. In addition to this, there is a good reason why most people don't want a pit bull type dog. The fans can tell their Walt Disney stories all they want, but most of us know at least one person whose child or ordinary dog has been savaged by a pit bull type dog. This shelter is also foolish because it is exposing itself to huge liability suits. The pit bull type dog represents 3000% the actuarial risk compared to ordinary dogs. If the shelter is persuading people to adopt a pit bull without warning them of the risks, it could end up bankrupted by the resulting suits when the danger manifests itself. It would be good for all -- including the pit bull type dog -- if the problem were addressed at the front end instead of at the back end as this shelter is doing.
  • by Anne King Location: Alaska on Feb 20, 2013 at 09:38 PM
    so other potential good adoptable dogs will get passed up because there is a deal on pits? Pit advocacy is smothering under the weight of "pits are like all other dogs" - if they were, people wouldn't be trying to pawn them off in shelters.
  • by Michele Location: Mason on Feb 17, 2013 at 06:35 PM
    I have never had a pit bull partly because I am not physically strong enough for a powerful breed (any) dog. But I don't have a problem with the breed just bad owners. It would help if when a pit bull (or any dog) attacks someone if the paper would report it more like.. "Neglectful owners dog bits someone"... Instead of "Bad dog bites someone". Maybe people would start to really see where the problems are.
  • by Anonymous Location: Lansing on Feb 13, 2013 at 03:28 AM
    I would love to adopt a pit if I had the room! I got my first pit, Mater two years ago and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. He is the most loving and loyal dog I have had. I think the CAHS is doing a great thing. They have a pretty good screening process for adopting a pit or pit mix from them. You have to have letters of recommendation and a statement from your vet.
  • by theresa Location: Lansing on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Pit bulls were called nanny dogs years ago b/c they used to watch the house and kids when there was no one else around. They protected the home and kids. Also entertained the kiddos.
  • by Name Location: Location on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    And in 6 months we will once again be reading about some kid(s) that were attacked (most likely because of owner neglegence). I will say that it is not the entirely the fault of the breed. I know the owners have a lot to do with it. I would like to see a little more screening take place when someone wants to take one of these dogs home. I don't think this is a breed for a beginner dog owner, and the CAHS shouldn't be forking these dogs over to anyone with $$$$. I have never owned one personally, I have always owned labs (which have had some documented attacks). The pits that I have been around have always been very well mannered. I do notice they have a tendency to get a bit rowdy and aggressive in play than any of my labs. I will say that I have never seen one cross the line though. Granted the owners were very good with the dogs and kept them on a "short rope" because of their reputation as a breed.
  • by Gerald Location: Lansing on Feb 12, 2013 at 04:29 AM
    I am at max. capacity for pets in my house, but if I weren't I'd be there, ready to adopt. Hope they have great success with this campaign. Love CAHS!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190744811 - wilx.com/a?a=190744811