Lansing Gas Price Spike Concerns Drivers

By: Alex Goldsmith Email
By: Alex Goldsmith Email

Tiffany Parker couldn't believe what she was seeing when she saw the price she'd have to pay for gas.

"I had to look again," said Parker.

On Monday, Lansing's average gas price sat at $3.88, the highest in Michigan and 22 cents higher per gallon than the national average.

The pinch at the pump is especially painful for Parker because she's a resident nurse with a lot of clients, which means a lot of driving. The high prices are making her think twice about her driving habits.

"It's definitely going to affect how I drive," said Parker. "I might start catching the bus."

Linda Campbell is also thinking about changing her driving habits. She pulled into an Admiral gas station south of I-496 running on fumes.

"I said I hope I can put in $25 just to get to the next gas station where hopefully it's cheaper," said Campbell, who commutes from Holt to work.

That $25 didn't even fill up half of her tank.

Gas prices in Lansing haven't been this high since 2008. On April 4 of that year, the average price in the area was $3.41, nearly 50 cents less a gallon than this year. In 2008, prices peaked at $4.24 in July.

If prices got to those levels, or even higher, Parker would have a serious problem.

"I'm worried it's going to be $5 [a gallon]," said Parker. "I think I would stop driving... for a while."

And she probably wouldn't be the only one.

• by Anonymous on Apr 6, 2011 at 03:30 AM
    till people stop paying these amounts we are stuck with them as they go higher.It is something we Have to have.Or go no where.Young people won't cut back as long as they can come up with the money.Rich people use gas as they want.Pay what ever.The rest are stuck into buying & going with out many other things.Mich has gas tax.That makes it more than some other states.Still high gas prices,WoW what a way to ruin this country & hurt millions.NO BOMBS NEEDED.No fixing this economy.Many places will loose business,who can buy very much.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 6, 2011 at 02:15 AM
    People should use the high prices to look at cheaper means of transport like CATA or the bike trails. The river walk had several bikers and it was in high 30's. The trail will only get more crowded with more bicycles.
  • by Beth Location: Lansing on Apr 5, 2011 at 07:42 AM
    To Butch- have to agree with you there! Many a day lately I wonder if anyone else has had second even third thoughts about voting for him! He will let the big business win out every single time!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2011 at 05:42 AM
    What is sad is in so many things only one class of people are considered.Yep-the rich.These prices are hurting many businesses.People can't by much.barely making bills.while the rich slide along with these prices just fine,as It doesn't take any thing away from the.Michigans gas prices seem higher because of the high GAS TAX we have on it.Not that goes where it is suppose to.Too many have been busy filling their pockets in upper government to worry about where what taxes go where.I can't see where all lottery taxes went either.I thought it was for schools?One year after another certain peopls wages became higher.I didn't vote on that,must of missed something?I guess it don't matter what the little guy & his family are going through or going with out.There is no reason for high gas prices.Just someones GREED.At this point I don't think some care what happens to this country or many living here.Did any one tell these greedy ones what greed does & who is behind it.What their end result will be is not going to make them happy.
  • by iris on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:43 PM
    We were in St. Petersburg, FL last Thursday and paid $3.55 a gallon before heading back north. Checked prices there a few minutes ago and yes, you can still buy gas at many stations there right now for $3.55 - $3.67! What is going on here in Michigan!!!!!!!!!
  • by butch elliston Location: United States on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:43 PM
    We can't count our republican gov for help' pretty sad a man with millions who don't care
  • by TC Location: Lansing on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    When can we start with the horse and buggy again. My street is killin my car. It is about time.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119225764 - wilx.com/a?a=119225764