Lansing Catholic High Instituting Mandatory Drug Testing

By: Steve Doty Email
By: Steve Doty Email

Over the years, drug use in schools has become an increasingly bigger problem and some would argue there's a problem outside of schools too.

"I think society has a drug problem," Lansing Catholic principal Thomas Maloney said. "I think all high school students, regardless of if they're here at Lansing Catholic or another high school are faced with a tremendous amount of pressure."

Because of this, Lansing Catholic has made a major change to their drug and alcohol prevention efforts.

"So we have made the decision for next school year that we will implement a mandatory testing program," Maloney said.

The drug testing will involve taking a sample of hair from students and faculty members. The drug testing will take place in early September, at the beginning of the school year, but the school may also randomly test students throughout the year.

Despite the increase in the drug prevention efforts, Lansing Catholic stresses there was no reason to increase their efforts.

Lansing Catholic would not allow students to comment on the new policy until they had a chance to talk it over with their parents, but say the reaction from the students has been positive.

• by .... Location: lansing on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    You guys are setting the school up for more alcohol related injuries and deaths. Tobacco will be increased. I believe you can test a student if she or he is suspected of drug use but if they are not you are violating their rights. If there was no increase in drug related incidents, you guys must be crazy to enforce this policy.
  • by eaj Location: lansing on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    As a current student at lansing catholic central high school i completely disagree with this policy. It is an invasion of privacy and unnecessary! This new policy is going to cause many of the student body to switch schools. So those friendships with the students leaving become demolished. I personally will miss those transferring because although they may do bad things, they are not bad people. Adding consequences for out of school bad behavior should not be the responsiblity of the school, it should be the job of the parent. This policy is just going to set up our school for failure and transfers.
  • by A on Jun 3, 2011 at 09:20 PM
    I am currently a student at LCHS and completely support this mandate. No, I am not being brainwashed by the crazy Catholic school; I have my own very strong opinions that may or may not coincide with LCHS's official stance on things. However, I do know that drug use is unacceptably rampant in our school.Trust is not just given; it must be earned, and when the administration, which consists of more people than just Mr. Maloney, deems the situation dire enough to require such an action, I believe this shows that the student body as a whole has not done anything to earn this trust. We are one community, and we fight this problem together. It's not acceptable to be content with the fact that most of our students don't do drugs. The Good Sheperd does not give up on His lost sheep, and neither do we.Personally, I am happy to give up a strand of hair if it means helping my peers with their struggles with drugs.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2011 at 08:40 PM
    I attend Lansing Catholic, it is a private school, my parents pay for me to attend. Any family who disagrees hold the right to withdraw the kids from the school. I do not use drugs and the kids who do are breaking an agreement. Many jobs require drug testing, if it will stop drugs in schools then it is a good thing. Those who use are not going to be sent to jail they are going to get help. Hopefully they can break the habit before they ruin their lives. Not every student is against this testing. It is not a horrible thing it is a thing done with an intent to improve the life of the students.
  • by anonymous Location: lansing on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    In response to the student who doesn't want to be "treated like a criminal and proven innocent," many jobs require a drug test before hiring and randomly test throughout employment. If you want to work there, you have to do it. What's the difference? LCC is just preparing you in yet another way for the real world.
  • by Free Location: Mason on Jun 3, 2011 at 08:50 AM
    Majority rules, stand up for yourselves and the control freaks will back down. If i had kids I'd pull them out and home school them. They will get away with as much as you let them.
  • by earl Location: canada on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:46 PM
    i dont see this a deterrent to drug use. it will just lead to more drop outs, which will lead to more unemployment which will lead to more crimes such as robbery and drug dealing. if anything they are fueling the fire they are trying to put out.
  • by K on Jun 2, 2011 at 06:44 PM
    I attend Lansing Catholic, and I can promise you the reaction from student is not a one that is positive. We are outraged and believe it is an invasion of our privacy and our rights as human beings. We are not lab rats, nor do we wish to be treated like them. I personally do not do drugs, but I definitely do not agree with these tests. I am not a criminal, so I should not have to be treated like one and proven innocent. I would not disagree with the tests if they only tested people whom they believe to fit a specific criteria of suspected drug use, otherwise it should not be a mandatory test. Police Officers would not pull someone over because they think they might be speeding, there needs to be some sort of reason for suspicion, not just mandatory punishment.
      by Matt on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM in reply to K
      As a recent graduate, I share this opinion. I think that the testing is absolutely unnecessary and a total waste of money. Mr. Maloney has no suspicion of any student being under the influence of drugs. However, since LCHS is a private school, he's allowed to do pretty much whatever he wants. Notice his typical smug smile in the interviews, too. He doesn't care.
        by A on Jun 3, 2011 at 09:05 PM in reply to Matt
        I also currently attend LCHS, but I completely support the mandate. It is a well-known fact that drug use is a major problem at the school. As wierd as it may sound to you that everybody is NOT out to get you and may actually want what's best for you, I believe that this is the administration's genuine intent. As summer quickly approaches and temptations become even stronger, they are just attempting to discourage as much drug use as possible (for our own good)and later identify the individuals with problems so that they can be helped. In response to being treated like a criminal, in the future, plenty of jobs require applicants to undergo testing. Are you going to remain unemployed because of this? I believe that when your electricity bills arrive in the mail, you'll think otherwise.
  • by Shane Location: Lansing on Jun 2, 2011 at 05:10 PM
    Now according to the principal's info and I quote "We have had students violate our drug and alcohol policy in the past," Maloney said. "There has not been a spike in that there has not been an increase in trend." There was no spike in drug related incidents at the school and there will be no spike in tuition. "Every year there is a slight increase in tuition," Maloney said. "This did not cause a huge increase in tuition." Now I ask if they know who the offending people are and admit there is no spike in drug and alcohol use it comes down to "This did not cause a huge increase in tuition."
  • by NUTS Location: Lansing on Jun 2, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    Okay, who told Maloney the kids reacted positively. Every student I have heard from is furious and think they are infringing on their right to privacy. These kids are very angry.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123032133 - wilx.com/a?a=123032133