Jump at the Pump

By: Sherene Tagharobi Email
By: Sherene Tagharobi Email

Drivers lined up around the block, all to fill up at the Kroger on MLK and Holmes. The deal that had dozens waiting at the pump? $3.58 for a gallon of regular. That was the cheapest we spotted. A far second -- $3.83 on Pennsylvania and Jolly. Evelyn Campbell got the heads up from her sister.

"She called and said Admiral is $3.83 everywhere else is $4.17. I said, 'I'm on my way.' And I have two vehicles so I came and gased up the other vehicle, ran home and brought my truck back to fill it up."

And just when her tank was full, it started overflowing.

"Gas just started pouring out, and that's the last thing i need with these prices," she said.

Still it's lucky she gased up when she did. Minutes later, the price caught up to the $4.17 we're seeing all over town.

"I'm still dealing with it being over a dollar a gallon so this is really outrageous to me," she said.

Outrageous indeed, if you ask Casey Gloden. He got stuck with $4.17 at the pump.

"I only put $20 in today, it's getting a little too expensive to fill up," he said.

Especially because he delivers auto parts for a living.

"We have five kids between the two of us so yeah, one of them always needs to go somewhere, so any extracurricular activity, we have to cut that out," said Gloden.

So, what kind of damage are we talking about?

"$104 to be exact," said Jerry Frazier.

That hurts, because Frazier treks 40 miles one way to work.

"Making fewer trips into town, if you live in the country, just one trip a week," he said.

And the driving doesn't stop once he's on the job.

"I may be in Howell today or Brighton or Battle Creek, back up to St. Johns," she said.

Even the deal of the day, that $3.58 at Kroger, caught up to $4.17 by 6 p.m. Monday.

• by Lisa Location: Lansing on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    There went my vacation. The paycheck will only go so far.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:12 AM
    Just wait till you see the profit of big oil companies.republicans rule now,many voted them in to work against the dems.OK now this is what we get.Republicans have always been for the rich So watch these prices go up.They will not let the dems stop these prices.You all asked for what you got when so many believed gossip about the dems.sorry it is to late now.
  • by brian Location: lansing on Apr 26, 2011 at 02:39 AM
    If this President intends to see a re-election, he must reduce the gas prices or it will not happen!
  • by ak Location: fowlerville on Apr 25, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    Rly? I mean rly? Come on enuff is enuff
  • by mike Location: lansing on Apr 25, 2011 at 05:41 PM
    Ok voters big jump at the pumps do you like that hell no,Then vote no May 3rd thats even more money out of pocket.P.S I like to eat.
  • by John Location: Grand Ledge on Apr 25, 2011 at 05:10 PM
    Oil companies need to open the oil fields in the U.S. It Crazy for us to buy oil from the middle east when we have oil here. So I guess this means that the vacation is canceled to we can someone in Government to start waking up . Here's an Idea lets make all Government pay for their own gas, health care etc. maybe if they have to pay these prices like we do they wake up?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120661649 - wilx.com/a?a=120661649