Northwest Student Expelled After School Prank

By: Liam Martin Email
By: Liam Martin Email

RIVES JUNCTION: "It kind of stinks. I wish I could've just gone back to school."

16-year-old Kayley Vinton made a costly mistake.

"I'm sorry for what I did," she tells News 10 Thursday. "I wish I could've taken it back, because I regret it."

On Dec. 2, 2010, Kayley's teacher at Northwest High School in Jackson was walking by her desk when the 10th grader stuck her in the backside with a dissecting pin.

"Because a friend dared me to," she explains. "But I'm angry with myself, because I did it."

Kayley was suspended immediately, and this week the school board elected to expell her for 180 days -- a decision her father says seems extreme.

"She made a mistake, but she didn't mean to hurt the teacher," says Paul Vinton. "It was a prank."

But officials with Northwest say the state's zero-tolerance law, which states that any student who assaults a teacher must be expelled for a minimum of 180 days, is clear. They had little choice but to expel Kayley.

"That is technically an assault," Superintendent Tim Hall says. "The state requires that we bring such a situation to the school board. And the state then says that the school board shall expel that student."

But Hall says the district is not giving up on Kayley. School officials are trying to enroll her in an after-school program so she doesn't fall behind in her credits.

"Certainly, we wanna do everything we can to make sure this student is getting an education," Hall says.

As for Kayley she says she'll never make the same mistake again. She already appeared in court to answer assault charges filed by her teacher and was forced to pay a fine and attend 90 hours of therapy.

• by person Location: jackson on Sep 11, 2011 at 08:35 PM
    I think that it was a prank. honestly, if you were dared to do it you would probabley do the same. dont be a hypocrite. and by the way, the teacher isnt the best, and by no means follows the codes of the book either.
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Jan 10, 2011 at 05:31 AM
    Andy, sorry, but read my post and realize that you and your friend will get ZERO sympathy from me. Assault with anything sharp is not a "prank" or a "joke", it is assault, without question. Your friend was an utter idiot and deserves every day of her punishment. If you want to serve her and others in your generation well, you will stand up for the punishment and help her and others realize that any time something causes any kind of actual harm, it falls out of the realm of joke or prank. Mike, I don't even know what in the heck the point you were trying to make is, but it sounds like you're of the "let's just slap the lil' girl on the wrist, call it good, and let her on her merry way" crowd, and to me that makes you as ignorant and foolish as the rest. Doctors' needles are sterile, stupid, but I don't think the same could be said about a high school science dissecting pin. If someone did the same to my sis-in-law the science teacher, I'd expect the same for that student.
  • by Ashley on Jan 8, 2011 at 04:41 PM
    Yes, what she did was way out of line but how often do you here about teachers sleeping with students and getting fired from one school and turn around and get hired in another?? They dont come down hard on them like they should, they all should lose there ability to teach. But back to her she did deserve to be kicked out of that school but lets think about this a minute... Could the teacher of been treating kayle and the other student unfairly??? (I do know that goes on I've been in school before). Also what happened to the student that dared her to do that??? (She should be expelled too, its only fair. It was originally her idea. I know she did wrong and definitly was not thinking when all of this happened, She needs to learn from her mistakes and take everything that she gets like an adult. I JUST HOPE SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS MAKING HER FAMILY GO THRU AND I HOPE SHE IS EMBARRESSED AS WELL, MAYBE THIS WILL BE A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIANCE FOR HER. Who knows only time will tell.
  • by mike Location: east lansing on Jan 8, 2011 at 06:40 AM
    Doctor takes needle and inserts metals, opiates, steroids and many other toxic chemicals. Doctor makes millions. Student pokes teacher with needle and is sorry. Student doesnt have to go to school. Kid goes to church and thinks about God. Kid learns to put oil on her wounds and thinks rational.
  • by nick Location: okemos on Jan 8, 2011 at 05:54 AM
    Throw the brat out for good! Make an example out of her. At the age of 16, she should know right from wrong by now, but then again, parents have that responsibility to TEACH their kids right from wrong. MOST people wish they could take something back, after they have done a wrong. Too bad, so sad sister. You pull something so stupid and dangerous as this and expect a different consequence? Poor baby - deal with the consequence.
  • by Andy Location: jackson on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:59 PM
    Stop picking on this girl, sheis a friend of mine and she would't hurt no one. It was a joke and it went wrong. She is performing her punishment and all the negative talk going around is making things worst for her. Please have some compassion.
  • by A Parent on Jan 7, 2011 at 06:07 PM
    Why is WILX giving this the headline of a prank? Are they crazy? Purposely stabbing someone with any type of object isn’t a prank. It’s assault and the girl knew it when she did it. What else has she gotten her giggles over and not been caught. Why is she still allowed to go to school after hours. That’s not a suspension. It seems to me if she is truly suspended she should not be allowed to attend the rest of the year thus flunking the 10th grade and having to repeat it next year. That’s a suspension. That is the consequences of hurting another person. Or she could be given the choice of picking her punishment. Suspension or walking through a gauntlet of people poking pins into her.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    So the kid thinks this stinks? Well then she shouldn't have done it. It was just a prank! Sticking anyone with a sharp object is NOT A PRANK!! Even my 3 year old know that. This girl needs a real reality check, maybe go visit a jail for a day and talk to someone who is in jail for sticking someone with a sharp object. Who does this kid think she is that she would even on a dare do something like this? I wouldn't trust her in a car, alone at home, or any place with others her own age, she really need parental supervision.
  • by Sandi on Jan 7, 2011 at 06:33 AM
    If her friend dared her to jump off a bridge, bet she would have done that also. Zero Tolerence is zero tolerence. This is not the same as TP on a house, prank phone calls, this was a an attack, there is no other way to look at it. I do not feel sorry for her, there are always conequenses for our actions. Thats why you think things through before you do something really stupid.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 05:06 AM
    I wish they would have such strict rules for the ones who bully other students.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113036089 - wilx.com/a?a=113036089