House Cuts Film Incentives from State Budget

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

The Republican-led state House is looking to do away with tax incentives that lure moviemakers to Michigan so the money instead goes toward road maintenance.
The House on Tuesday stripped $25 million in tax credits it planned to set aside for the film industry.
The funding would go to the state and local governments for road repairs. The House also cut $25 million from an economic-development fund and allocated it for roads.
The full House is expected to vote on its budget Wednesday, setting the stage for negotiations with the Senate and Gov. Rick Snyder next month. So far the GOP-controlled Senate and governor are looking to designate at least $25 million in incentives for Hollywood -- half the amount in the current budget.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by JLN Location: Lansing on Apr 25, 2013 at 08:34 AM
    That's brilliant, let's cut out the one thing that is keeping young people in our state. Some people just can't see the big picture and refuse to learn about an industry they know nothing about.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 25, 2013 at 05:51 AM
    Just a political ploy. To make the state Reps look good. That amount of money that the house is "moving" to help the roads is 4% of what is needed. That's a long way from the total that is needed. Did they step up and come up with the other 96% of the money needed?
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 204603351 -
Gray Television, Inc.