Grandfather Pleads for Answers in Toddler's Suspicious Death

By: Lindsay Veremis Email
By: Lindsay Veremis Email

Police are investigating the suspicious death of a two-year-old Lansing boy and the toddler's grandfather pleading for answers.

Officers would say little about the case Tuesday, but do say they are investigating the toddler's death as suspicious.

Michael Kemp says he's still trying to wrap his head around the loss, and the unknown is making the pain cut deeper.

"My grandson is gone, he's dead, he's not coming back," Kemp said, choking back tears. "If there's any foul play involved, I want people exposed."

Kemp says his grandson, Brandon Kemp, was prounounced dead Monday at an area hospital. Police won't say how the toddler got there, or what caused his death. They are concerned releasing that information will put their case at risk.

"All we can say is it is a suspicious death and we want to get to the bottom of it to make sure that we do a full investigation and we find out exactly what happened," Captain Daryl Green, with Lansing Police said.

Up to 10 officers are pursuing leads in the case. Kemp too is pushing for answers. He says whatever happened, happened at his daughter and grandson's Pinebrook Manor apartment.

"He had bruises on him, I do know that," Kemp said. "I don't even know what might have happened to my daughter."

Police say the investigation is changing rapidly. They're hoping to release more information Wednesday.

"This matter is an open suspicious death, so we have a lot of work to do," Green added.

That committment to answers, Kemp says, is exactly what Brandon deserves.

"He was real ambitious for a little kid, he had a real strong will," he said. "That's my grandson, he's not here now."

At this point, Lansing Police say no arrests have been made. News 10 will continue to follow this story and will let you know when we learn more.

• by Brandon Kemp Location: Norfolk Virginia(Formerly Eaton Rapids, michigan) on May 7, 2012 at 04:35 PM
    My name is Brandon Kemp. I lived in Eaton Rapids for 20 years and have currently moved to Norfolk, Virginia within the last week. This really creeps me out and I will keep Mr. Kemp and his family in my prayers.
  • by Anonymous on May 4, 2012 at 06:06 AM
    Praying for you Mr. Kemp. Justice shall be served, but in the mean time, stay strong adn try to find peace.
  • by Anonymous on May 2, 2012 at 04:31 AM
    Mr. Kemp, I am sure that the whole community is praying for you and your family. May you find a little peace knowing that we are keeping you in our prayers.
  • by Mr. Scott Location: Michigan on May 1, 2012 at 09:37 PM
    Stay strong Mr. Kemp my prayer is out for you and your family.
  • by Svetlana Location: michigan on May 1, 2012 at 08:02 PM
    What have we come to? This baby boy had bruises on him, and is now concidered "suspisious" in his passing. He is GONE, forever gone. Little man didn't even stand a chance. Seems to me that the world has gone crazy and that the hustle of our lives has compromised the way we raise our children. This is such a tragedy. I have a young child myself and I look at all that she has given me, and all the things that she requires around the house and can not even imagine seeing her little shoes not filled with her enormous personality. I pray that this family can honor his little soul, and Grandpa, he probably loved you more than all..keep fighting for the truth, and may the good Lord bless you
      by Gary on May 2, 2012 at 06:05 AM in reply to Svetlana
      I love this comment, S. It is full of passion and feeling.
  • by Angie Location: Lansing on May 1, 2012 at 07:58 PM
    My heart goes out to Mr. Kemp. I, too, have a 2-year-old grandson who is very precious to me. Just thinking about anyone hurting him makes it difficult to breathe so I can understand the agony Mr. Kemp must be feeling. My condolences that this sweet little boy was taken from someone who obviously loved him very much.
      by TRC on May 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM in reply to Angie
      I too have a 2 year old grandson and my world would not be complete without. I pray that God will continue to give this family the strength it needs to get through this difficult time and that those involved will be EXPOSED and dealth with! It's so sad to hear of soooo many innocent kids being victimized...it's just sicking~
  • by kriss on May 1, 2012 at 07:37 PM
    My heart is aching for you Mr. Kemp, may god give you strength and help the authorities bring justice for little Brandon!
  • by Gary Location: Grayling on May 1, 2012 at 06:07 PM
    Mr. Kemp, please try to be patient, although it seems impossible. If the police do the wrong thing at the wrong time, it could jeopardize the arrest and conviction of a suspected murderer. Too much information released to the public may give the guilty person an opportunity to evade police or destroy the prosecutor's case.
  • by Ms.DeeDee Location: Jackson County on May 1, 2012 at 03:54 PM
    My heart goes out to the family.
  • by Erica Location: Albion on May 1, 2012 at 03:48 PM
    that's sad I hope there is justice!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 149743945 - wilx.com/a?a=149743945