Grand Rapids-Area Boy Dies; Meningitis Blamed

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

WYOMING, Mich. (AP) -- An 8-year-old boy in the Grand Rapids area has died, a likely victim of bacterial meningitis.

Ethan Giang died suddenly Thursday. St. John Vianney School in Wyoming told parents that bacterial meningitis is not considered contagious like a cold or flu. Principal Gregg Bruno says he wants to "convey fact and dispel fear."

Nonetheless the school was scrubbed after Ethan's death. The third-grader's funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. John Vianney Catholic Church.

High fever, a headache and a stiff neck are symptoms of bacterial meningitis.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191614591