Grand Rapids-Area Boy Dies; Meningitis Blamed

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

WYOMING, Mich. (AP) -- An 8-year-old boy in the Grand Rapids area has died, a likely victim of bacterial meningitis.

Ethan Giang died suddenly Thursday. St. John Vianney School in Wyoming told parents that bacterial meningitis is not considered contagious like a cold or flu. Principal Gregg Bruno says he wants to "convey fact and dispel fear."

Nonetheless the school was scrubbed after Ethan's death. The third-grader's funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. John Vianney Catholic Church.

High fever, a headache and a stiff neck are symptoms of bacterial meningitis.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191614591 - wilx.com/a?a=191614591
Gray Television, Inc.