Gov. Snyder Presents His Budget

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

LANSING -- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has unveiled his first budget, a $45 billion cost-cutting plan he says includes tough decisions that will help fix the state's massive budget shortfall.
The first-year Republican governor made his budget presentation Thursday morning to a joint session of the House and Senate Appropriations committees and the Senate Finance and the House Tax Policy committees.
In past years, it was given by the budget director, and the governor usually wasn't in the room.
But Snyder has a different way of doing things, and this proposal shows that.
He's calling for spending cuts for schools, universities and local governments and ending many personal tax breaks. The budget also would eliminate before- and after-school programs, cut hundreds of state jobs and ask public employees for concessions.

• by Me Location: E. Lansing on Feb 21, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    Anyone that believes a buisness tax cut to 0% and adding $1.8 Billion to the debt/imbalance of the budget was not planned to add additional harm aimed at the same people all Republicans want to hurt is kidding themselves.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 18, 2011 at 05:05 AM
    If we do it snyders way,we will be getting in a lot of bigger messes down the road.Then again what are the answers.Jobs by the thousands are the main issues.Then many things will work out for other things.Most of us on social security already did our fair share of tax paying,bought homes and so on.Now they want more.More that many of us don't have to give.One end at the white house wants to stop many of the programs we need,they have already stopped our raises in social security,How ever prices of food & utilities & everything goes up& up.This is kind of the last thing we need.Worse yet I didn't really see this as helping Mich at all.But I'm sure some will get rich off this.Ones that are already rich!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 07:04 PM
    Mr Snyder, I applaud you for having guts to do something that needed to be done. You are on the right track in getting spending under control and taxes justified. Thank you.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 03:30 PM
    what good business man gives up large amounts of pay?Or was snyder just saying,I'm so rich I don't need that money,ya sure,I see a big tax deduction in that one.I'm not so sure due to written in stone stuff it can be done any ways.I don't buy it that it's for to save mich.I still say it is more toward putting all this help Mich on the backs of the poor,older folks already in poverty.I see some schools closing and a lot of people loosing their jobs,so how does that help?I was not impressed on the way he bragged about his giving up something that most would not of been that foolish.show off?I think there are other ways to cut without making more poverty,job loss, we know JOBS will fix this state.One thing at a time,a few more months of debt won't hurt as bad as fast cuts.& to make jobs want to come here,I agree get rid of so much tax.If that don't work,??????
  • by Jon Location: Okemos on Feb 17, 2011 at 03:25 PM
    I"m moving out of Michigan I didn't make this mess so therefore I don't want to pay for it.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    I support the Governor's plan and initiative to finally get the State of Michigan back on track. Now let's see the rest of the politicians take a pay reduction to show they are committed to the Great State of Michigan! Excellent leadership example!
  • by Bruce Location: Crystal on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    The gov wants to take more money from retirees by taxing their checks. With the economy the way it is a lot of them rely on that as their only income. Some such as myself have their military retirement checks offset already because of being injured and receive money from VA and have not had a COLA increase in three (3) years
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    This is what the people want. Less government, less taxes less protection
  • by Jack Location: Saint Johns on Feb 17, 2011 at 08:55 AM
    I listened to Gov. Snyder on the internet and I liked what he said. He talked about fairness even saying he was going to work this year for one dollar. Cuts I think will be easier to take if they are done fairly. Bottom line is this state has over spent and now its time to solve the problem. The Gov. is`ent kicking the can down the road. Our financial problems started a long time ago. Its time to fix the problem.
  • by CK Location: Holt on Feb 17, 2011 at 08:46 AM
    I think its time for parents and grandparents to help again in the schools. When I was little my parents sent penceils and paper to school. I think its time we stopped thinking some one else should pay for your children. As a parent and grandparent if me helped just a little it would help a lot on the State budget. We FINIALLY have a governer who can help us getout of this mess. I will pay my way and you should too.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116404324 - wilx.com/a?a=116404324