Gay Pride Flag Burned At Albion College

By: AP
By: AP

Albion College says it has taken "appropriate action" after confirming that students burned a gay pride flag last month at the school.
School President Donna Randall says in a statement Wednesday that the private four-year liberal arts college was contacted Oct. 19 by a student who claimed that other students had burned the flag.
The Michigan school's Campus Safety department investigated and identified the students involved. Randall says investigators determined that the students found the flag in a trash can and decided to burn it.
Randall says "appropriate action has been taken to address the conduct of the students involved," but says privacy laws prohibited her from providing additional details about that action.
Randall says the school "condemns harassment."

• by Jason Location: Jackson on Nov 13, 2010 at 03:07 AM
    Good. I'm glad they burned the flag. Being gay is wrong, sick, and immoral. You might not like it, but I don't beat around the bush. I tell you how it is in my point of view. If people want to be gay and do gay things, fine. Don't march around waving your gay flags. We don't really care or need to know what you and your partner are doing together. I want to be able to eat my dinner and keep it down.
  • by Anonymous Location: Currently out of state on Nov 11, 2010 at 08:36 PM
    Interesting. I always hear about gay/lesbians crying haters, but I'm pretty sure if such a flag as an "anti-gay/lesbian" flag existed and was burned they'd be celebrating instead of crying foul. I guess it's OK for tolerance to be practiced in favor of them, but tolerance for those who do not agree with them isn't required, requested, demanded, or as big of a deal. On a side note, this article makes no mention of their motives for burning that flag. It might have just been a case of, from a bit of pyromania to the statement of "This is what we think of it." My closing thought though is: If someone is going to demand tolerance toward their way of life or beliefs, they better practice tolerance as well, or they're just as guilty as those they cry foul of.
  • by me Location: new york on Nov 11, 2010 at 01:40 PM
    they sould have gone a little further than just burning a flag. Homos are the ones ruining this country and cause a lot more problems then they are worth.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    For being a so called free country, this really a land of bigots. The only thing free is the right to show what a buch of jack--- you really are. Sure doesn't make you proud to be American. I am sure the founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.
  • by Mike Location: jackson on Nov 11, 2010 at 09:56 AM
    Who really cares?
  • by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2010 at 07:17 AM
    I am a christian who is proud of my gay college student. I will remain anonymous out of fear for her safety and mine because of unkind, unloving people. I proudly fly the American flag-especially today,in honor of my father who earned 3 Purple Hearts in Korea.I would never burn it or my pride flag. If they had burned the American flag, many thousands,if not millions would have cared. I dare say I am not alone in believing there is a way to express what I believe without setting things on fire and hurting people.
  • by david Location: charlotte on Nov 11, 2010 at 06:20 AM
    how is this harassment was there gay pepol around when it was burned was there signs being waved was there anyone being slandered and what if there where i thought that it was ok to burn flags in this nation pepol seem not to have a problem burning the us flag or books or slamming others so why is a gay flag any different just another case of double standard in this nation wake up and smell the roses pepol the albion collage needs a law suite against them
  • by James Location: Lansing on Nov 11, 2010 at 05:53 AM
    In America, the burning of flags, books, etc. is considered an act of freedom of expression/speech, and is perfectly legal. What these students did by burning the gay pride flag is 100% perfectly legal according to our Constitution. There should be NO consequences for someone expressing their beliefs in America! Just as there are no consequences for gays marching naked and performing strange/grotesque acts in the public streets of San Fransisco during their gay pride marches, the people of this country have every right to disagree with them, and to express those disagreements through the burning of their flag if they want. In America, the KKK can burn, spit, and desecrate the Jewish flag of Israel on the steps of our State Capitol without consequence, but all of a sudden, people can't express their beliefs by burning the gay pride flag without "appropriate action" being taken?! Shame on this school. I hope the students sue this school for violation of their Constitutional rights.
  • by Alexie Fry Location: Lansing Michigan on Nov 11, 2010 at 05:10 AM
    It is unfortunate that we are not able to express ourselves without the fear of being called haters or harassment. If they had burned an American flag no one would care.
  • by Dan Location: Lansing on Nov 11, 2010 at 04:33 AM
    As far as the "appropriate action" that was taken, surely it does not involve any of the disciplinary type. I mean, after all, you can burn the American flag and chalk it up to freedom of speech. I guess it all boils down to who has their feelings hurt or who is offended.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107179594 - wilx.com/a?a=107179594