LANSING - People are back in their homes and gas service has been restored in the 800 block of Cleveland Street in Lansing.
Early Tuesday afternoon some homes had to be evacuated and streets closed in the vicinity of Cleveland Street and May Street due to a gas main break. A Board of Water & Light crew was installing a utility pole when they struck a natural gas line at about 11:30AM. As a precaution, the fire department closed the nearby portion of Cleveland Street and evacuated at least 4 homes. There is no word of anyone being hurt.
A Consumers Energy crew contained the gas leak before 1:30PM, and gas service was restored to area homes by 4 o'clock.
There was confusion about the location of gas lines on Cleveland Street. The Board of Water & Light states that there are gas line locations marked on Cleveland Street, and the area they dug for the utility pole was not marked. Consumers Energy is investigating.