LANSING - Residents are being allowed back into their homes following a gas main break near downtown Lansing Wednesday. The gas main break was reported in the 500 block of N. Sycamore Street shortly after 11:30AM. Residents say they could hear a hissing sound and smell the gas. Firefighters went door-to-door in a block radius evacuating homes. Fire trucks and ambulances were kept close. No one was hurt. A CATA bus was driven to the scene, so people could stay cool in the air conditioned bus.
Consumers Energy spokesperson Terry DeDoes says they were able to stop the gas leak in about an hour. A 2-inch gas line had been struck by an excavating crew. The Lansing Board of Water and Light says they were digging to conduct some water line work at the residence there. Consumers Energy says 5 homes are without their gas service, as repairs are made. They estimate those repairs to be completed by 3:30PM.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.