GM Workers Hit by Credit, Debit Card Fraud

By: Sherene Tagharobi Email
By: Sherene Tagharobi Email

"Right there, $397 at the Walmart in Dover, Delaware," said Brett Brown, pointing out the charges on his account statement.

Brett Brown has never been to Delaware but someone with his debit card number has. And he's not alone.

"You can see people are getting hit for $600 dollars at a Walmart in North Carolina. People are being hit in China as well," he said.

About 50 GM workers like Brown have been hit by credit and debit card fraud. And with no official word from the automaker, they've turned to each other on Facebook for some answers.

"It almost seems like denial, and that's the thing, I'm quite sure it's not, but if you don't say anything, if you're kept in the dark like this, you're gonna have anxiety," he said.

We contacted local credit unions to find out if they've had a rush of cancellations. Nothing out of the ordinary we're told by LAFCU, Astera, and Lake Trust. Which makes sense, the victims don't all bank in the same place. What they do have in common...they work here at GM's Delta plant.

"Is it generating here on site? Was it at the ATM or was it at the cafeteria?" asked Brown.

That's a possiblity, according to the Eaton County Sheriff's investigators.

"We'll start first at the plant perhaps the cafeteria or commissary where people would normally use their debit cards on a regular basis," said Undersheriff Fred McPhail.

"We were reassured there were firewalls at the facility to protect us from that," Brown said.

GM investigator Ryan Kane invites victims to e-mail him. Brown says he did...last week.

"I haven't got one back yet, no," he said.

Neither have we.

• by John Location: Lansing on Apr 27, 2011 at 06:03 AM
    When you have over 3,500 workers in one location it's not really a surprise that they all work in the same building. 50 people isn't enough to put the blame on GM. This could be a regional problem.
  • by Marty Location: Charlotte on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    I was hit by the fraudsters too. I am at LRS (Stamping Plant). I had to have a new card issued. I was lucky that the transaction was stopped and I was not charged anything. I will not be using the ATM at the plant, there is a security problem with that credit union's system.
  • by Chris Location: Eaton Rapids on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:10 PM
    I realize this is kind of a long shot...could there be any connection to the 75 million people exposed to the Playstation 3 Network being hacked last week with the possibility of every users personal and possibly even their credit/debit card information? I've been upset that the network has been down for nearly a week...It just makes me wonder. Could the hackers have stolen millions of users billing info? Maybe. Is there any connection to the GM workers being hit? I don't think so but anytime 75 million users of the PS3 are being hacked, you have to wonder. I wonder, what is the money being spent on at these Walmarts? Here is where I read the story first in case anyone is interested http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/sonys-playstation-network-hacked-leaving-up-to-77-million-exposed/story-fn7x8me2-1226045466699
  • by joel; on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    I might feel a little for you;but seeing as I live down the road from them,Ihave little sympathy. I say this because their wages (too high) took away my little $10 hr job,I only wish them more. This comes from the Jackson area. If you want to argue with that, then Please give me some work! (Trust me, I am no slacker)
      by Dee on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM in reply to joel;
      Wow.. can you tell me how I took away your job? I work hard to support my family and you have an issue with that. This is not something that is happening to just auto workers, its happening everywhere. I just hope and pray that you do not become a victim of this.
  • by George Rust Location: US on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:24 PM
    I can impathize with you folks, while I was in Florida two years ago, someone cleaned me out of over 2ooo.oo in two days on my ABCU Debit card. They told me that they probebly would never find out who it was, but I got my money back in three days, and a new card. They used my number at Best Buy and Fye in Ohio. Good Luck
  • by Carl Location: LDT GM on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:07 PM
    My card was hit today to . Wish they would have told us at work. Cant trust no one any more . Have to get new card tomorrow and fill out fraud affidavit
  • by frank Location: LDT on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:04 PM
    I got hit also.Someone over in France tried using my card for almost 500.00. Chase alerted me & closed my card. I too work for GM
  • by Brett Location: Lansing Delta Township on Apr 26, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    Thanks channel 10 for bringing some light to the credit card problem we're going through here at LDT. Hopefully it will help prevent others from going through the same headaches.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120737979 - wilx.com/a?a=120737979