Sparton Electronics In Jackson Demolished By Fire

By: News 10 Email
By: News 10 Email

JACKSON COUNTY -- A large fire broke out Saturday night at the Sparton Electronics building in Jackson County.

Fire crews and police officers were on the scene for nearly 10 hours, containing large flames.

Blackman Township Fire is still putting out "hot spots" at the East Ganston Street site.

An officer of public safety says it's possible the fire may be arson, or could have been started by a subject using the abandoned building to stay warm, and who had lit an out-of-control heat source.

The fire broke out around 10 p.m. Saturday and witnesses say heavy smoke could be seen for several blocks.

Numerous departments responded to the fire, and say the building is completely demolished.

The condemned building had scheduled for demolition.

Viewers have posted several photos of the fire on the WILX News 10 Facebook page.

Stay with News 10 and WILX.com for the latest on this story.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 27, 2011 at 02:40 PM
    This is the second major fire for the blackman safety in th elast two years. This takes away any offiers from issuing tickets or making arrest.
  • by Cheryl Henegar Location: Jackson on Mar 27, 2011 at 02:26 PM
    I was watching tv on my pc when we lost power. Looked out the window to see if neighbors had power and that is when I noticed the flames above the trees. I thought a house down the street was on fire. We got in our car and drove down to find it was the shop. We were parked a few minutes a few blocks away and little ashes fell that looked like snow at first. We decided to leave area so not to be in the way of people who might be trying to evacuate the area. When we were driving on E Mich where Little Caesar is at, I saw a big hunk of ash fall in front of the restaurant. We decided to head back home at that point. I am so proud of the job that our public safety people do. They did good keeping the homes and businesses nearby from catching fire. That was my worse fear...for the people who lived close to the shop. We live 11 blocks away.
  • by firefighter on Mar 27, 2011 at 01:01 PM
    Hey public safety officer, you have to use water to put it out, you can't shoot it out with your gun.
  • by Cameron Location: Jackson on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    I was watching and the flames were so big the fire fighters could try putting it out but the flames are too strong to be put out now about half of the building is just......gone.
  • by Samantha Location: Vandercook on Mar 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    going home to vandercook on 127, i could see the smoke in the air and a bright light. My boyfriend thought it was just a factory but then i yelled' "its on fire!" So we went fire hunting, till we ended up in sunvally trailer park! It was a sight to say the least!
  • by Tennessee Location: Jackson on Mar 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    There was also a home on fire in Michigan Center this morning around 1:30am,Come on Jackson, what is going on? I come up to visit,it's Jackson,nothing exciting ever happens,I come up from TN to see friends and family and there are numerous fires..My family lives in Sun Valley and everyone was worried about the flames and hot ash moving this way..WOW..what a night..
  • by PandaBear Location: GL on Mar 27, 2011 at 05:09 AM
    My dad drove by it after he got out of work @ 11:20 and the whole place was ablazing. My sister lives a few blocks away and he was worried because all the power went out.
  • by willbee Location: jackson on Mar 27, 2011 at 03:01 AM
    blackman new this was going on medal was being striped from the building the fire sprinklers was all gone maybe you should go after the scabs and make them pay two clean up see who is selling the medal at the scrap yards nice job blackman do not bill the tax payers you know who is in that building getting the medal look back you been in ther
  • by James Location: Jackson on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    I live about 250 yards from Sparton. it's 3:00 AM Sunday morning and I can tell you that the whole building has burned and is now under control but still burning on the west side of the building. the fire has caused some power outages in the area.
  • by Trina Hughey Location: east side jackson mi on Mar 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    i am 4 blocks from the fire... walked down to see it and the entire building was engulfed in flames. around 1:20 there was a huge exposion and i looked and flames are visable from my porch... 4 hours after itstarted its now 2:13 and the fire is still burning. God be with the firefighters and rescue people fighting these flames and even more so with the people/families that live next to this big plant.
  • Page:
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118723899 - wilx.com/a?a=118723899
Gray Television, Inc.