Update: 5-Car Crash on I-96

By: News 10
By: News 10

LANSING - A man remains in critical condition Tuesday afternoon following a morning accident along I-96 south of Lansing. 5 people in all had to be taken to the hospital. Michigan State Police say a 27-year-old man from Sterling Heights is critically injured.
The crash happened just after 8:30am in the westbound lanes of I-96 between the Cedar Street and MLK Blvd. exits. State police say the preliminary investigation indicates the driver of the at-fault vehicle appears to not have noticed that traffic on the highway had been slowed or stopped by an earlier accident further to the west. It appears the at-fault driver was traveling at highway speed when he or she crashed into the rear end a car that was stopped. This caused a chain reaction of crashes.
Cars were backup up along I-96 for miles during the morning commute, as accident investigators tried to determine what happened and cleared the scene. At one point both directions of I-96 were stopped when a minor accident occurred in the eastbound lanes in that same stretch of highway.

• by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2010 at 09:43 AM
    in the white van thats my aunts car
  • by Sarah on Oct 7, 2010 at 08:50 AM
    You worry about your daughter making it to work on time today and I'll worry about my cousin pulling through and be able to have his life back.
  • by Sarah on Oct 7, 2010 at 08:48 AM
    One of the most disturbing and pathetic things I have ever read is that womans comment about how her daughter has to go to the bathroom and how unbelievable it is that she has to wait in traffic while one of my best friends,my cousin and one of the most important people in my life is unconscious and in critical condition not knowing if he was going to live or die. You are a selfish inconsiderate heartless person to worry about your daughters issue on having to go to the bathroom while my cousin and a close family friend are trying to stay alive after being hit by a moron who wAsnt paying attention going over 70mph. I hope your daughter didn't encounter any tragic accidents and wasn't inconvenienced or late for work today.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    hope they make a full recovery tami hang in there hopefully things will get better-chris
  • by tami on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    And thank you to all that are keeping my family in their prayers , and taking the time to read about this tragic accident
  • by tami on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM
  • by tami on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    Thank you for everyone who is concerned about my family . It was a very fatal car accident my mother and my brother are both in ICU and I just am praying for the best for both of them . How can you really sit and get mad about anyone being late ?? My family got smashed by a car doing 70 mph and your complaining about your daughter being late !!? I'm lucky my family is alive from the accident . My mom is awake and concious but so far as my brother the driver he is still in critical condition . Please everyone pray for the best . Thank you god bless and please pay close attntion to the road you have no idea what were going through
  • by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2010 at 09:21 PM
    I know the man who had to be rushed into emergency surgery. My mom could've been in that car with him. He is now in a coma and it is touch and go. Please remember the people who were actually INVOLVED in the accidents and their families and friends when you complain about being stuck in traffic. All we can do is pray at this point and hope he pulls through.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2010 at 04:38 PM
    Are you really serious?! Just being stuck in traffic is nothing! At least they are alive and safe!! What about the families of the people that were in the accident! Has anyone thought about what they are feeling or going through and what it would be like if they have to read about you being stuck in traffic when their family member was in the accident and injured?! Im sorry to sound so bold but consider the other people and their families and be thankful your family member or friends were "just" stuck in the traffic and not hurt!!
  • by Kelly Location: Lansing on Oct 5, 2010 at 09:25 AM
    Earlier in the morning (around 7:30) there was an accident involving a semi and it was backed up for several miles. This accident was probably caused by someone not paying attention to the previous backup and crashed into others as they were topping a hill. I'm glad there were no fatalities.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104335649 - wilx.com/a?a=104335649