Fatal Accident On I-96

By: News 10
By: News 10

A husband and wife are dead after an accident that shutdown I-96 westbound in Eaton County for nearly eight hours.

According to the Eaton County Sheriff's Department, the highway was closed after a tractor-trailer hit the guardrail around 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Crews are still on scene investigating and cleaning up, but one lane has been reopened. The Sheriff's Department is asking drivers to avoid the area.

The victims were identified as 58-year-old Calvin Roberts and 54-year-old Brenda Roberts. The couple is from Oil Trough, Arkansas, the Sheriff's Department said.

Stay with News 10 and wilx.com for updates as they become available.

• by Safety Dept on Dec 15, 2010 at 06:42 PM
    God be with their family in this time of need and for the rest of you on here. Tim sometimes things happen and obviously people are reading between the lines. Lansing, you got a huge my husband's the best truck driver in the world issues. No one is perfect and accidents happen to the best drivers. You really need to step back and take a look at what people are saying before you start running your mouth. How did you get four wheelers out of Tim being stuck for 2 hours. If that is all you have to do is sit on here and bash other people for what they say, you really need to get a life. These people lost their life and all you can do is sit and bash other comments. For those of you on here that were friends and family. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. I run the safety department of a trucking firm and I know exactly how accidents can happen. I've seen them, photographed them and investigated them. No one is perfect and Lansing you may want to get a reality check.
  • by unknown on Dec 15, 2010 at 05:28 PM
    These people were very nice. If you couldn't get a hold of someone because they weren't answering the phone and this is what happened to them you wouldn't make negative comments about waiting in traffic. I guess if you think negative still after I made that comment you can call me and I will tell you how I felt when I was trying to get a hold of them at 650 and they weren't answering. Be thankful!
  • by James Location: Lansing on Dec 15, 2010 at 07:01 AM
    lansing, Tim is simply saying he was stuck for 2 1/2 hours and only went three miles. What in the world is so wrong with that? Where does Tim imply in his comment that he "owns the road"? What does accidents caused by 4 wheelers have anything to do with the topic at hand? It's really sad that people such as you resort to unjustified childish name calling, and it amazes me that the editors allowed your disgusting comment. Grow up lansing. Your comment about your husbands driving record is self centered and means nothing. Just because truckers deliver goods in this country, is not a justification for perfection. You have become delusional. Truckers are not perfect. Do the research. Hundreds and hundreds of fatal accidents are caused by truckers every year. Recently, a trucker was playing poker while driving and killed 5 people. Many think THEY own the road. Just take a look at how some of them drive in bad weather! lansing, you should think twice before saying "never"..
  • by tricia Location: springport on Dec 15, 2010 at 02:38 AM

I shouldn't be shocked by the self-centered comments and complaints posted about this terrible accident. A man and a woman lost their lives and the rest of the commuting people lost a little bit of their time. It's an awful thing two people set out to kill themselves in an accident to disrupt everyone else's day! Those of you who complained...grow up, get a heart and be thankful it wasn't someone from your family! My prayers are with this couple's families!
  • by ellie Location: Newport, Arkansas on Dec 14, 2010 at 08:45 PM
    They were my family and hey "Tim" I hope that you know that you are blessed. That wasn't you, and so maybe a little patience is not a bad thing... now is it.
  • by Rachel Sturdevant Location: Lansing on Dec 14, 2010 at 07:01 PM
    RIP, thoughts and prayers to their friends and family.
  • by lansing on Dec 14, 2010 at 06:51 PM
    Tim, I must say you have got to be the biggest A--, My God, two people lost their lives, my husband is a 40 year experienced trucker (NEVER INVOLOVED in an accident, not even a fender bender), he has seen may accidents caused by 'FOUR WHEELERS', ALL BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU OWN THE ROAD. My god man, who cares you were late for work, a man and woman is dead, and I bet Mr. Roberts did everyrhing he could, NOT to take another soul with him. It takes a great deal to keep that truck upright and in his own lane. Tim, maybe you should thank Mr. Roberts.
  • by tony Location: baytown tx on Dec 14, 2010 at 06:38 PM
    thank you for praying for them they were 2 veteran drivers and friends of mine. I know we all hate traffic jams but i can assure you they didn't die to mess up your day.
  • by Tina Location: Potterville on Dec 14, 2010 at 03:59 PM
    What a horrible tragedy. I am so sorry for this family's loss.
  • by Jack Location: Lansing on Dec 14, 2010 at 03:07 PM
    Such a terrible thing. I had to drive by the site a couple of times this morning. There was nothing left of the tractor.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111857754 - wilx.com/a?a=111857754