Family Loses Home to Fire

By: Jamie Edmonds Email
By: Jamie Edmonds Email

"What am i going to do? All my stuff is gone," Noble Duncan said of what he first thought when he realized his house was a total loss. "What do I do with my kids? All their stuff is gone too."

The past 24 hours have been a blur for Noble Duncan and his family. On Tuesday evening, a kerosene heater sparked a nearby couch, then he watched as the family home and everything in it was destroyed.

"Not really sure what happened," he said. "I was out here doing the driveway, then when I went in, the couch was on fire and before I knew it the whole thing went up."

His pregnant wife and four children were not home at the time, Duncan said he was only able to save a couple family pets and a computer.

"We try to determine their needs. Do they need housing, do they need food?" Jim Ducey of the American Red Cross said.

Ducey, of the South Central Michigan Chapter of the Red Cross, was on-scene in Springport Township Tuesday. He said unfortunately this is a familiar story; there have been four house fires in December alone.

"It's been very busy," he said. "When you see weather conditions that take a quick change, you'll notice activity gets higher and higher, people try to use alternative heating sources."

When you calculate housing, clothing, food assistance, each case can cost up to $1,500. Ducey said their chapter has not received any federal grants this year, so it all has put a squeeze on the organization.

"It's wide-ranging to think of the things that are important to you," Ducey said.

Duncan can't thank the Red Cross enough for what they've done, the community's support too.

"We'll be alright," Duncan said. "We'll move on."

Every little bit helps in getting a family get back on their feet.

The Duncan family was reluctant to even ask for help when News Ten was there Wednesday, but if anyone would like to donate blankets, winter coats or hats for the kids, contact:

The South Central Michigan Chapter of the Red Cross at: 517-782-9486. Ask for Sarah.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Ashley Location: Jackson on Dec 22, 2010 at 09:45 AM
    Zim, Maybe you should have your house burn down and see how you feel. What would you do if you had just lost everything you owned, including a few family pets? I'm sure you would not like people calling you stupid. These people are my family, and they are NOT stupid. Accidents happen and there is nothing you can do about it. You have no right to sit there and call him stupid. My uncle would give you his shirt off of his back if he had to. So why don't you think before you open your mouth, and judge people.
  • by Roberta Location: Lansing on Dec 22, 2010 at 05:58 AM
    I want to express my appreciation for the generosity in support of the donations for this family. Over the last 6 days, my office has received/collected an overwhelming amount of clothes, baby items, toys and toiletries. I have been in close contact with this family and they couldn't be more wonderful. They have 4 children and are expecting their 5th any day. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. It's comforting to know that a community can come together even when times are tough.
  • by Anonymous Location: Jackson on Dec 18, 2010 at 06:00 AM
    What I am trying to say is that he shouldn't have left it unattended...that is the "accident"
  • by horsechic Location: springport on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    how can people be so mean? I have 3 small children and we use a karosene heater to heat our house. Sometimes you have no choice you just need to be carefull would you rather them freeze. If anyone knows the age of the children I might have things I can donate. God Bless
  • by Mac Tracy Location: Springport on Dec 16, 2010 at 06:41 PM
    Is everyone stupid. The guy just lost everything do to an accident. None of you people never made a mistake? How would you feel if this happened to you or a loved one? Wouldn't you feel bad and wanna help? You people should feel ashamed of yourselfs.
  • by Anonymous Location: jackson on Dec 16, 2010 at 06:43 AM
    I do feel sorry for the family, however he should have known better than to leave a kerosene heater unattended and apperentaly so close to flammable furniture.
  • by lansing32 on Dec 16, 2010 at 06:17 AM
    It is ok to have compassion but Zim is right this guy did nothing short of child endangerment. The loss of his house is unfortunate but all of you would be calling for his head had the children suffocated from not using common sense.
  • by mamaof3 Location: Jackson on Dec 16, 2010 at 04:48 AM
    Zim that is a horrible thing to say. No matter what no one deserves to have something like this happen.How would you feel if this story was about you and your loved one? That was a very mean thing to say and I don't know how someone would be so coldhearted.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2010 at 03:28 AM
    I will keep this family in my prayers as well as you ZIM for lack of compassion and love. I would like to know the ages of the children so I can do something to make their Christmas bright. Keep Christ in your heart this holiday season and lend a hand to this family who has lost EVERYTHING!
  • by Susan Z on Dec 16, 2010 at 03:21 AM
    For Zim: Accidents happen and your comment was just plain cruel and ignorant. For the Duncan Family: My thoughts and prayers are with you. You have Springport's support.
  • Page:
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111959729 - wilx.com/a?a=111959729
Gray Television, Inc.