Family, Friends, Community Search for Missing Grass Lake Woman

By: Alex Goldsmith Email
By: Alex Goldsmith Email

Patrick Whitehill and a small search party are looking high and low for Grass Lake resident Tonia Renee Stiles, 34. The mother of two has been missing since November 18. Family and friends have organized a search for Stiles that has been ongoing since Friday.

"I think Tonia's been injured or is in trouble," said Whitehill, Stiles' brother. "She never would've left her kids the way they're sitting now."

Stiles is about 5'8", 140 pounds and has blond hair and blue eyes. Police say she does not have a cell phone or a car.

Search party members WILX spoke to say that while they don't think the outcome of the search is likely going to be a positive one, they're holding out hope. The search was started in the first place because of what family and friends see as a slow-moving investigation by the Michigan State Police.

"You've gotta do what you've gotta do," said Charity Golombek, a longtime friend of Stiles. "We're doing what we think the police should be doing."

"It shouldn't be up to the family to search," said Elizabeth Carroll, a Napoleon resident helping out with the search efforts. "I feel the police should be out here helping. I know there are budget cuts but they could volunteer their time like the rest of us."

Michigan State Police were unavailable for comment Saturday. In a press release sent out last week they said foul play is not suspected in Stiles' disappearance.

If you know anything about Tonia Renee Stiles or where whereabouts, please call Michigan State Police Lt. Jim Shaw at (517) 780-4580, ext. 223, or Trooper Gordon Van Gelder at ext. 813.

If you're interested in joining the search, you can contact Golombek at (517) 416-0223.

• by david on Oct 28, 2011 at 09:21 PM
    Dont rely on the cops for anything..she will be found and it won't be by the cops
  • by Anonymous Location: Jackson on Dec 2, 2010 at 06:15 PM
    I am a resident on orban rd and when i was on my way home from work a police officer stopped me and asked me what i was doing...so i told him and he said to go home and lock my doors and not to leave...and then he said there was a man hiding in the woods with a gun and that was why there were cops, helicopters and ground troops all over the place...so that is the only thing i know about the other evening from what the cop told me...
  • by Dallas Location: Battle Creek on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Well that is news to me. I was on the search party all weekend. It is about time the police got involved in the search because so far they have not been in it.
  • by Will Location: Grass lake on Nov 29, 2010 at 06:57 PM
    I agree a picture certainly would not hurt! But on a better note there seemed to be plenty of police involvement in and around the area today. choppers and ground troops searced into the night. My prayers go out to her family.
  • by Mari Location: Indy on Nov 29, 2010 at 02:31 PM
    If this family was rich--the Michigan State Police would help with the search! When people go missing like this how come the family is not getting the help they need to search! I am in Indy, but If I was there I would help!
  • by Big Moe Location: Lansing on Nov 28, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    How about a picture of her, that would help alot.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110914979 - wilx.com/a?a=110914979