A fire at Hunters Ridge Condominiums off of Waverly road went from bad to worse Tuesday morning, as a natural gas leak fueled flames. Investigators don't know which came first- the fire or the leak.
"It's a one unit single story apartment fire that looks like it has spread into the attic and the basement at this time," said Charles Stadt, PIO Lansing Fire.
Fire crews had the flames nearly extinguished when the situation suddenly got much worse.
"They did make an attack, and then they heard and smelled the gas leak," said Staldt.
After Consumers arrived, fire crews were able to re-enter the condo and begin battling the blaze. Flames were shooting through the roof when fire crews went back in.
"There's an inch and eighth inch service lien that feeds the natural gas that we pinched to stop the flow of natural gas to the fire," said Terry DeDoes, Consumer's Energy Spokesman.
The Lansing fire department said that one condo is most likely a total loss, and a second has extensive damage. Everyone got out safely.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.