Bars, Restaurants Plan Smoking Ban Protest

By: News 10
By: News 10

Hundreds of Michigan bar and restaurant owners fed up with the state's smoking ban are planning a smoking ban protest on New Year's Eve.

It's planned for 9 p.m. On that night, they say they will allow customers to light up inside.

A spokesman for the group Protest Private Property Rights in Michigan says the ban is causing bars to lose money, and enough is enough.

State government officials say the ban has not affected businesses.

The Michigan Licensed Beverage Association disagrees, saying 400 bars reported losses of more than 27 percent.

• by Jen Location: Williamston on Jan 6, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    MJM, I actually did mean that as I was taught it's fine to dislike a person's beliefs or opinions, but it doesn't always mean you have to dislike the person, especially if I don't personally know them. Hey, who doesn't like to hear someone wishing them to have an awesome day, especially if it's sincere? I'm still going to stick by my "Keep the smokers out of my airspace" campaign and continue my support of the ban here in Michigan, but if there weren't two sides to any situation/argument/debate, life would be pretty stinking boring, now wouldn't it? I'd sure find it that way if we all agreed all the time.
  • by MichaelJMcFadden Location: Philadelphia on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM
    Jen wrote, "Have an awesome day." Thank you Jen! Thank you for the good wishes and I shall certainly attempt to! - :) MJM
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Jan 5, 2011 at 03:43 AM
    Just because that's in your book, it doesn't mean my request is any less valid, for the reason I brought it up was because you want to play Mr. Gallant on behalf of willfully rude and unhealthy people, and I'd like you to shut your cake hole in the area of trying to convince me that I'm the ignorant one. You come talk to me after you've worked even one day on the respiratory floor of any hospital, and then dare to try and tell me that these rudely bodily destructive people have more rights than the people who choose not to partake in such "enjoyment". You sir, have done nothing more than comp[letely convince me that you are an arrogant and ignorant jerk who loves to hear himself talk and read what he writes more than any other person in this universe could ever possibly dream to. Have an awesome day.
  • by MichaelJMcFadden Location: Phladelphia on Jan 4, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    LOL! Jen, who so assiduously read my book before burning it evidently never got up to the third sentence. Jen writes, "You show me one report or study, JUST ONE, that tells me that smoking is healthy and recommended by anyone (& not YOU)." She writes this DESPITE the fact that the third sentence of my Author's Preface clearly states, "I also do not here, nor have I ever, tried to claim that smoking is generally good for you, although many find enough enjoyment in it to justify its risks." . . . . . . . Jen, at SOME point you truly SHOULD try reading a bit in the area if you really want to be effective in keeping smokers out on the sidewalk where you have to walk through them and share their fragrance. Reading books is far more enjoyable (and productive) than burning them. - MJM
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Jan 4, 2011 at 04:04 AM
    "so smokers will be safely back inside smoking places" Puh-leeze. I don't truly care how little or much money you made on your book frankly. You continue to attempt to sway me that smokers deserve more rights than non, and I continue to tell you it won't work because your arguments and facts fall quite short of what the actual truth is. You show me one report or study, JUST ONE, that tells me that smoking is healthy and recommended by anyone (& not YOU). I'm hoping to keep your ignorant self busy for a while, because you won't find something that isn't there. You can spout all you want, trying to get your misguided point across, and I've done my best to read and interpret with an open mind, but ignorance so evident and obvious cannot be ignored, no matter how hard I try. I feel no need to continue any dialogue as we obviously both have our set opinions and it's pretty evident we're never going to agree. Good luck on your search for that "healthy smoking" report/study.
  • by MichaelJMcFadden Location: Philadelphia on Jan 3, 2011 at 08:13 PM
    No ignoring involved at all Jen. It's simply irrelevant to your argument. You claimed great distress to your airways from smoke. I offered a way to reduce that. My suggestion doesn't fit with your political leanings on the issue so you reject it. . . . . . . . You're also showing a rather dull funny bone: the "If God Meant..." comment was actually a jibe at the antismoking sound bite of "If God had meant for us to smoke he would have put chimneys on our heads." My "rhetoric laced ignorance" has been received quite well by a lot of people, though unfortunately I haven't made nearly the money from my book as you might think: most of it has gone back into the fight. Far more $ to be made on the other side. And I am quite sincere in saying those who feelthey have strong negative reactions against smoke should be fighting AGAINST bans so smokers will be safely back inside smoking places. Simple Antismokers using that excuse will of course never do that. It's a good litmus test. - MJM
  • by Jen Location: Williamston on Jan 3, 2011 at 05:55 AM
    Since the two of you are more impressed by what you say than anything anyone else could, I'm not going to add much more. You've both obviously managed to ignore that I admitted I USED to smoke, but decided, as an adult with self control, that it wasn't something I should be doing and was cause for negativity aimed at me from everywhere-quite justifiably, IMO-so I quit. MJM, take your "if God meant" comment and stuff it because that was just sad and infantile-like throwing a cotton ball at an attacking Sherman tank; ineffective and outright ridiculous. No, I will not join any group to fight a ban on an unhealthy substance, whether it's legal or not. Spreading your perpetual rhetoric laced ignorance around is legal as well, and you've even made yourself a little money with it, but it's no less dangerous and damaging, and in many ways it's actually worse.
  • by MichaelJMcFadden on Dec 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM
    According to the news today, well over 300 Michigan bars and restaurants are planning to defy the ban openly on New Year's Eve with an unknown but surely far larger number planning to just defy it quietly after "suspicious" folks leave their establishments to go sniffing elsewhere. The sad thing for Jen and others like her is that before the ban she could have easily picked out a smoking banned place to party and known she wouldn't run into smoke there since the somkers would have gone elsewhere. Once you have a full ban in place you not only have the sidewalks and entryways crowded with smokers, but you never know when you walk into a place if they're going to be allowing smoking later on. If Jen is sincere about her reactions to smoke she should be fighting AGAINST the ban rather than for it. Of course if she's simply an Antismoker the story would be different. So which is it Jen? Want to work with a group fighting the bans, or not? Reveal your true motivation. - MJM
  • by Cyzane Location: World on Dec 29, 2010 at 01:54 PM
    Sorry, in my last post the word ''boycott'' should have read ''protest''.
  • by Cyzane Location: World on Dec 29, 2010 at 01:52 PM
    @Jen - As MJM pointed out, where from my post of support for this boycott did you figure that I support smoking everywhere? Are you perhaps projecting your own wishes that you should be able to go EVERYWHERE you want at the detriment of the businesses that risk to lose their investment and livelihood waiting for you to set foot in their venue? Come down from your high horse, because on top of every other health problem you have you'll get a nose bleed! Tobacco is a legal product and there should be places where you can legally enjoy it among like-minded adults besides your home. Bad laws always get repealed sooner or later. This one will not be the exception, deal with it.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112371049 - wilx.com/a?a=112371049