Amped Up Security at Common Ground

By: Hannah Saunders Email
By: Hannah Saunders Email

If what Common Ground Coordinators predicted comes true, more than 60,000 people will attend their concerts at Adado Riverfront Park throughout the week. "Ticket sales are right where they're supposed to be; they're a little bit higher for some of the days," said Common Ground Spokesperson Malinda Barr.

They say they're well prepared to entertain those people and are now putting the finishing touches on plans to keep them safe: "as the crowds get bigger, we add more security people," Barr continued.

The added security will be around for crowd control, and to give people some piece of mind, after a spike in gun violence over the past week: "We've had 12 years of no incidents what-so-ever. The perimeters are secure, the gates are secure, and the grounds are secure.

Lansing Police Captain Mike Yankowski is in charge of organizing officers to monitor the concerts: "In the years past, we've had very few problems; only some monitor incidents." He will be working dawn until dusk every day this week to make sure enough cops are on patrol.

So far, he doesn't have the exact numbers, but says there will be more cops on the grounds this year than ever before: "I assure the public that we'll have plenty of officers on site to deal with whatever issues might come up during the event."

With a special team in place by police and Common Ground's hire security, both say this year will make the 12 straight in a row, incident free.

• by Anonamouse on Jul 10, 2012 at 05:33 PM
    Dan, if you did your homework you would know that Common Ground isn't having any R&B or rap performers this year.
      by Dan on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM in reply to Anonamouse
      I did my homework. I guess I could be wrong, but it appeared that is was one on Friday.
  • by Dan Location: DeWitt on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Want to improve security down there? Cancel all the hip-hop and R&B performances. After all, I can't seem to recall the last time I heard about someone getting shot or stabbed at a country or rock concert.
  • by Worried on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    That's what they said about the 4th, too, then an innocent PhD student gets shot and dies. I know the police are doing the best they can, I'm not blaming them, but something needs to be done to wake this city up already!
  • by Kevin Location: Jackson on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    I'm still not going.
  • by Ryan on Jul 9, 2012 at 06:39 PM
    This is just what Bernero said right before that woman was shot in the head at the fireworks. Do you know what training the security guards get? Zero. CG peaked in '05. My two cents- rent a movie and stay home.
  • by Chris Location: Lansing on Jul 9, 2012 at 05:08 PM
    Why don't you amp up Security in Lansing Nothing gonna happen at Common Ground. Hello does anyone have a clue. Freekin morons.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161859915 - wilx.com/a?a=161859915