Michigan health officials have announced two confirmed and five suspected E. coli cases in the state.
The state departments of Community Health and Agriculture and Rural Development said Friday they're issuing a public health alert as a result. They say those who were sickened ate raw clover sprouts at sandwich shops in mid-Michigan and southeast Michigan.
The MDCH says it's recommending that people avoid consumption of raw clover sprouts until more information about the origin of the contaminated sprouts is available.
The illness onset dates range from Feb. 6 to Feb. 12. Those affected range in age from 19 to 50.
The state Department of Community Health is working with local health departments as well as state and federal agencies to determine the source of the sprouts.