Lansing Firefighters urging CO detectors after 4 Michigan Deaths

By: Alyssa Fenske Email
By: Alyssa Fenske Email

LANSING (WILX) - Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Local firefighters hope the answer is yes and if not, buying one should be on your to-do list this weekend.

They're urging people to protect themselves from carbon monoxide after four people in Michigan were killed by the odorless gas just this week.

Lansing homeowner Patricia Devlin has a carbon monoxide detector, but it doesn't work well when the batteries are dead.

"I have a machine and I was worried it wasn't working correctly," said Devlin.

Local mechanics say they find carbon monoxide leaks almost daily. For Patricia she got new batteries put in her detector and had it mounted right next to her furnace for the best results.

"A lot (of detectors) are misplaced, you want to put it low," said Lansing Firefighter Charles Stazt.

"I feel more comfortable now that I had someone do it for me," said Devlin.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and a leak in a home tends to be associated with the furnace's heat exchanger says Stazt.

"With a leak people might feel sick, light headed, or have nausia," said Stazt.

But don't rely only on your detector says A-1 mechanics consultant Bob Effs.

"You need to have a tune up or your heat exchanger checked, thats best answer," said Effs

If you're looking for a carbon monoxide detector for your home, you can find one at any local hardware store. Prices range from $15 to $100 dollars.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Steve Location: Dewitt on Dec 30, 2012 at 04:51 AM
    Well thank you for the chemistry lesson Dr. know it all. I was just about to start my generator in my basement because I knew it gave off Co, not CO2....figured I was safe but I guess not!. Sheesh,I'm sure people get the idea.
  • by James Location: Lansing on Dec 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Why do you have a image for carbon dioxide for this article??
  • by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2012 at 05:27 AM
  • by Angie Location: Lansing on Dec 28, 2012 at 09:14 PM
    ...not to mention mis-spelling "nausea".
  • by Dr. Jenifer Bourcier Location: Lansing on Dec 28, 2012 at 04:46 PM
    Carbon monoxide contains only one oxygen. That is is what the 'mono-' means. The credibility and competence of this article is compromised when an image of carbon DI-oxide (CO2) is included.
  • by Siggy86 Location: Michigan on Dec 28, 2012 at 04:44 PM
    Why is the symbol for carbon DIOXIDE being used in the picture if the story is about carbon monoxide?
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185102561 -
Gray Television, Inc.