Woman Drinks Chemical-Filled Tea in Critical Condition

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A woman who drank sweet tea laced with a highly toxic industrial cleaning solution at a Utah restaurant has suffered deep, ulcerated burns in her upper esophagus.

Family attorney Paxton Guymon said in a statement Friday that 67-year-old Jan Harding remains in critical condition. She also has severe mouth burns.

Guymon says Harding's family is very disappointed with the news. He says the internal burns are deeper and more widespread than they hoped.

Harding has been in critical condition since Sunday, when she drank the tea at Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan.

Guymon says investigators and the restaurant manager have told the Hardings that a worker mistook the cleaning product for sugar and accidentally mixed large quantities of it into the iced-tea dispenser. The product was meant for degreasing deep fryers and contained the odorless chemical lye.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 271407451 - wilx.com/a?a=271407451
Gray Television, Inc.