Squirrel Cooking May Have Caused Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP -- Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.
Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.
The resident's name wasn't immediately released.
Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.
Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.
The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Susan Location: Lansing on Oct 11, 2012 at 05:12 PM
    The squirrrel did NOT "cause" the fire. It was the idiot that was trying to burn it's hair off that caused the fire. How did the squirrel die? Further investigation should be done to make sure there was no animal cruelty invloved.
  • by rwill on Oct 11, 2012 at 04:50 PM
    Roasting nuts on a open fire again huh?
  • by Bubba Location: KY on Oct 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Well, tell that rascally squirrel to stop cooking! Gosh-ding-it-all.
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173715121 - wilx.com/a?a=173715121
Gray Television, Inc.