Senators, Representatives: Don't Pass Right To Work Bills

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

DETROIT -- Democratic members of Michigan's congressional delegation are calling on Republican Gov. Rick Snyder to veto right-to-work legislation or insist on a statewide referendum on the issue.
Sen. Carl Levin and House Democrats met Monday morning with Snyder in Detroit. Afterward, the lawmakers told reporters they warned the governor that allowing the legislation to become law would divide the state and severely damage what have been improving relations between labor and management.
Levin said Snyder agreed to "seriously consider" their requests.
The state House and Senate approved bills last week that would prohibit requiring non-union employees to financially support unions at their workplace.
Supporters say doing so would bring more jobs to Michigan. But opponents say it's intended to weaken unions.
The legislature could take final action when it reconvenes Tuesday.

• by Lenore Keel Location: Misouri on Apr 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM
    I am from Mo. but this is something they are considering here. Right to Work means right to work for less and right to work in less safe conditions. Little or no regulation. Look at West, Tx. That makes my point. No inspection there since 1985.
  • by Name Location: Location on Dec 11, 2012 at 04:45 AM
    JDK, because you don't have the "right" to work at a job that pays good wages and benefits just because you "want" it. Many union members have worked hard, made personal sacrafices and negotiated those wages and benefits on behalf of their union members. If you are not a union member, you shouldn't get the benefits of union negotiated contracts. Remember Mitt's 47% comment?
  • by Leann Location: Brighton on Dec 10, 2012 at 04:20 PM
    I don't have an issue with the bill, as much as I do the method that the Republicans are using to slip it through. Those that apply for jobs that have a union, should know before hand that conditions of the job. When I applied for a job in higher education, I was fully aware that their would be union dues. I may not support how it protects incompetent workers, however I did appreciate how they fought for a 3% raise. Many of us believe unions are out of date, but I do give credit where credit is deserved. If it wasn't for unions, our employment standards overall would be much lower. Pushing this bill through in the manner it is, only tells me that the Republicans fear that voters would not pass their bill.......
  • by AGO Location: Jackson on Dec 10, 2012 at 02:00 PM
    I am a member of a union where I work. The politicians that unions support do not represent the values that I agree with. I should not be forced to belong to an organization and pay dues when their interests don't reflect my interest.
  • by Brad Location: detroit on Dec 10, 2012 at 01:45 PM
    @jdk you have the right to join or not join a union. Explain to me why it is ok for you to benefit from all the unions work and time and there resources at no cost to you. I agree if you dont want the same pay, benefits and representation then be my guests.
  • by jdk Location: lansing on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    why does union members freedom to organize/bargain trump my freedom to choose not participate? Why are unions allowed to force me to participate in their version of "freedom"?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 182833511 - wilx.com/a?a=182833511