Senator Introduces Bills to Repeal "Right to Work"

By: News 10
By: News 10

Two bills written to repeal Michigan's new "Right to Work" laws were introduced in the state Senate Thursday. Democrat Hoon-Yung Hopgood of Taylor says the laws are unpopular with the public after being passed "under the cover of night during the lame-duck session" in December. He says the "Right to Work" movement was driver by out-of-state special interest groups and not by the desires of the voters.

Hopgood's bills aren't expected to go anywhere because Republicans control both the House and Senate and because Governor Rick Snyder supports "Right to Work." Voters can't repeal the laws at the ballot box because Republicans put an appropriation in them, making them referendum-proof.

• by RT Location: Lansing on Feb 6, 2013 at 07:35 AM
    If I understand this RTW issue...I can opt out of my union, not have to pay dues, but I'm still covered by the contract that's in place. If I'm incorrect please set me straight because if that's true--that doesn't make sense. If I opt out of the union I should not be covered by the contract...I want my employer to be able to raise my wages and bonuses based on my performance NOT on a contract someone else negotiates for me. Besides, if I'm not paying into the union I shouldn't be covered by the contract.
  • by Bob Location: Laingsburg on Feb 6, 2013 at 06:41 AM
    Even though I currently do not have any Union ties, past jobs had me involved with two different Unions. One was a positive experience and one was not. I am proof that NOT all Unions are being run badly. There is not one person out there that has the experience to say that all Unions are bad.
  • by John Location: Everywhere on Feb 2, 2013 at 05:14 PM
    Its not 1950 anymore, nobody wants to work hard and expects crazy wages. No way in this world a plumber, elec, GM worker should be paid over 100k per year. Some docs don't even make that much. The perfect example of a union worker was those who knocked down that tent.
  • by DebiR on Jan 30, 2013 at 07:19 PM
    Five things Unions have done that have benefited even non-Union members; Unions helped working Americans to get Employer-Based Health Coverage, Unions gave us the weekend, Unions gave us fair wages and relative income equality, Unions helped end child labor, Unions spearheaded the Family And Medical Leave Act. If you are unaware of what Unions have done to create a middle-class in America; please read up on it. The MI Legislature is a lame-duck session eroded the rights of Michigan citizens without listening and without caring. This is an erosion of everyone's rights in Michigan.
  • by Mike Location: Lansing on Jan 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
    Yes this legislation was passed by those people who retaliated against Michigan by losing their elections, retiring, and taking huge checks from billionares. Example Rick Jones said that Devos was going to line somebody up to run against him if he did not support RTW.
  • by free Location: Mason on Jan 30, 2013 at 09:39 AM
    Good Comment Elaine. Most RTW supporters are from the Canaanite bloodline.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2013 at 07:10 AM
    Drink some more Kool-Aid, Elaine.
  • by Elaine Location: Location on Jan 30, 2013 at 02:30 AM
    The only comments that I have read that make any sense are what Melissa said. People need to wake up and realize our rights are being taken away from us. I have never belonged to a Union but they have a very useful purpose. Go back and educate yourselfs to find out why Unions originally came to be. The Republicans also want to surpress women.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    No union guaranteed me a paycheck...I am indeed pathetic in terms of my desire to keep the hard earned money I earn as opposed to sending it to worthless union.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    They did more work in two months than they did in two years. It was not chaotic, it was well orchastrated. The only people who thought it was chaotic was the people who could not read all of the bills that were cming through.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188303511 - wilx.com/a?a=188303511