A portable heater placed too close to a couch is being blamed for the fire that caused extensive damage to a Lansing apartment Thursday afternoon. Smoke caused damage to a second unit.
Lt. Bruce Odom of the Lansing Fire Department says the electric heater was the only heating source in the apartment.
Heavy flames and smoke were coming from a second story window of the multi-family duplex at 818 Eureka when firefighters arrived. All tenants had already made it outside safely.
The fire was quickly put out.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries. One was treated at the scene and the other was taken to Sparrow hospital for treatment and later released.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.